Is it only my kid?

I have a 4 year old boy and about an hour before bed time he goes MENTAL!! He gets so hyper and basically I can peal him from the walls.. it is like someone gave him sugar or something we have a rule no sugar after 5, here it is 8:26 4 minutes till bed time and he is still gibbering away hyper as all get out.. he is ADHD.. but it gets really bad about an hour before bed. Any suggestions? Am I the only one? He has to go to bed at 8:30 cause of school in the morning.. he is special needs.. high end Autism. I really would like to make his bed time 8 but that just isn't happening.

Punkslilncs

Asked by Punkslilncs at 9:27 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Were you given a diet for him to follow? Certain foods can trigger excitement/energy without sugar. Check out naturopathic, high/low protein, high energy foods online.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 9:35 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Cause of his Austim.. he has SPD along with that so mainly he only eats chicken nuggets.. They are high protein..
    Punkslilncs

Comment by Punkslilncs (original poster) at 9:41 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• nope lol my ds does laps around the house when he's getting tired..but we think he might end up being diagnosed adhd or something similar.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 9:56 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• could he be over tired & getting that "second wind" in him that makes him go bonkers?
    I know if my dd stays up too late she will get really hyper & its like she knows if she stops/calms down she will passout lol
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:38 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I agree with MommaTasha I would recomend starting your bed time routine at about 7:30 so that he can be in bed before that happens.
    My 4 year old has been diagnosed with PDD-NOS and has sensory perseption issues and one of the tools that I value the most is a weighted blanket. It helps him calm down at the end of the day or when he just needs a some calming pressure. If that doesnt help I would try adjusting his diet. Eating for Autism by Elizabeth Strickland is the book that I got my information from and it explains how each food effects a persons brain and digestive system. Plus it has great recies for picky eaters and tips for broadening your childs food options. Plus, the chicken nugget recipe is AMAZING.
    hlbhembree

Answer by hlbhembree at 11:04 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• My friend says my son has the super power of being able to become SUPER hyper just before bed time. He is usually really calm till about 30 min before bed then it's 90 to nothing till he passes out
    reaandiziesmama

Answer by reaandiziesmama at 11:57 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Let me just put this out there: I have read extensively about ADHD (and I was diagnosed myself as a child)..and I do not believe in diagnosing this until at least age 5...ESPECIALLY if you choose to use meds. That being said...it could be a sign that bed time needs to be sooner. My son (age 3) will often enter a "second wind" period if we are delayed...and it can add HOURS to bed time.

Is he watching TV at all at night? Try NO TV after 5pm for a week. That might help. TV is known to have a lulling effect during the viewing period...but it acts as a "cat nap" on the brain...and often, children arise RECHARGED! NOT something you want BEFORE bed time.

Good luck!
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 6:15 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Also, to everyone saying their children wind up before bedtime...my son does too...and it's totally normal.
    Some kids get drowsy...some kids "wind up" instead of winding down. It usually means my son is OVERTIRED however...or over stimulated.
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 6:18 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I've told this to others bcuz it worked for me. Get him up earlier in the morning, about an hour earlier than usuual, so he will be more tired at night. Try getting him to lay in bed earlier too. sometimes they get overtired & actually get a second wind. If u put him to bed earlier u may get to him before the second wind kicks in.
    deniselvt

Answer by deniselvt at 7:35 PM on Mar. 28, 2011