How do i know if my premie is strong enough to get enough breast milk?

she wants to feed for hrs and still crys after an hr for more

bettybop547

Asked by bettybop547 at 10:07 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ask your pediatrician

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:10 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• She is strong enough. You can also try pumping and give her the bottle. Then you can see how much she gets. Little ones really do not need very much. I supplemented my premie with a bottle because I was worried about the same thing but it really is ok. Babies early or late all are expected to loose weight between birth and their first Doctors visit.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 10:12 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• How old is your LO.. My son did that in the beginning when we were both "getting the hang of it".. I just put him to the breast when I thought he was hungry. I fed on demand. Breast milk is easily broken down so she may be hungry an hour or so after eating. As they get older the feedings will get 2 hours apart etc. Is she gaining weight, having 6-8 wet diapers a day? If so, chances are she is getting plenty..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:29 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Feeding on demand will help build up your supply

Answer by rkoloms at 10:31 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Thank you midnightmoma, Yes she's wetting that often ,for her 1st 2 weeks i only pumped. she went from 3lbs 15oz to 4lbs and 9oz then i tried just breastfeedings and thats when the waking every hr started until then we woke her every two for feedings. I think we will try breast milk 1st then finish with a bottle
    bettybop547

Comment by bettybop547 (original poster) at 10:52 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• If your getting lots of wet diapers, feed the baby when ever she cries. I never had a premie but my youngest was very small when she was born they are suppose to gain 1/2lb a week I think during the first few weeks but not all babies are the same. As long as your getting emptier after you nurse shes getting milk. Talk to your doctor if it really worries you. If shes eating every hour she might be falling asleep too soon you could try waking her up a little so she will eat more. GL!
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 2:18 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Thank you all, you have all been very helpful.she's gaining weight good now , but i was only feeding her from pumped milk ,she was too small to get milk at 1st from my breast and being at 1st time mom is scarier then i thought with a premie,,,,
    bettybop547

Comment by bettybop547 (original poster) at 9:24 AM on Mar. 27, 2011