We have a squatter. wtf do we do?!!!

We have a property in Maryland that is sitting vacant. We are planning on letting the house go to foreclosure but it hasn't gotten to that point yet. Long story short, we went by the house today to pick up last few things we have in it and there is someone living there! We called the cops and they came but no one answered the door. The person has changed the front door locks. Cops said we have to show proof that we are still the owners and that we aren't in foreclosure, etc. Has anyone had this happen? What will they do to the squatters? The way they described it seemed like they would make them leave right then. I am wondering how that is possible since I thought they would need to be evicted. These people had to have broken in to gain access b/c we had that house very secure. We are so upset and very depressed. Some of our stuff was still there and all. :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Money & Work

• how terrible for you , i dont know what to say.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 10:15 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Are you serious? Some schmoe has broken in and moved into your house and the cops want you to prove it's your house? WOW. That is beyond ridiculous. They should not only be made to leave but should be arrested!!!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:15 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Oh geez I went to real estate school...you have to mail them something certified mail..call your lawyer.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:16 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Get your proof together and go to the cops - do what they told you. They don't need to be evicted since they are not living there legally - they are trespassing!!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:17 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• You should not have to evict them The are residing illegally. Get your proof to the cops immediately. If the people are still there have them charged with everything they can be including breaking and entering.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:18 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Come back with the proof and show the cops it's your, break in to get the people and SIGN the trespassing and or damage and burglery complaint. Im sure they took your stuff and tossed it out. They will be arrested IF you sign the complaint and press charges.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:18 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• yes tell me about it. the freakin law is redic!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:19 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I thought I heard that squatters have rights? Not sure you can charge them with trespassing? Just something I heard once, not even sure it was true. Good Luck!
    FebPenguins

Answer by FebPenguins at 10:22 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• thanks guys. i hope you are right and they just get them out and arrest them! i am so sad for our remaining stuff. i wonder how the heck they have electric and running water since we shut all that off! my neighbor said they are cleaning up the yard and mowing, etc. wtf!!!! makin themselves right at home i guess. the neighbor also said the county had put some sort of abandoened sticker on the property so I guess that is how they knew no one lived there and decided to just move right on in. oh and they put up new blinds in the front kitchen window!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I would let them live there if you are going to let the house go anyway. Make sure to keep insurance on it until it is out of your name.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2011