Need advice about oppositional defiant disorder

My 7 year old daughter is very defiant mostly at home. She has kicked, hit, spit on, scratched and bit me on several occasions. She has destroyed furniature, broken doors, and put a hole in the wall. My oldest daugher was never like this.

When you ask her to do a simple task like brushing her teeth, or getting dressed, more times than not shell listen and do it, but there are times when she flatly refuses to do it, and well all hell breaks loose. She is in counseling, and medication didnt help her. I just took her for psych, testing and I get the results a week from tomorrow.

Is anyone else going through this? I am so alone and worn out, not to mention very distraught at this whole thing. I am disabled and im sick of getting beat up. i was sent to the hospital once already.

lilmizmoore

Asked by lilmizmoore at 8:56 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Has she been diagnosed with ODD, because that sounds more like Bipolar since it's an on again off again thing......but either way, with the kids I've worked with, we gave them a very detailed daily schedule so that they knew exactly what was expected of them without having to face "verbal orders" from an adult (which triggers the defiance). That should help with some (not all) of the problems. I truly have no idea what it is like to have a child of my own have these problems, but I have worked with dozens of families in your position. I'm always willing to listen if you need to talk and will help when I can offer something for you to try out. GL
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 12:38 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I'm not going through the same thing.. But on THe MOMMIES HIDEOUT i've seen at least 3 other posts involving odd. Best wishes and blessings. Stay positive and god things will happen. The law of Attraction!
    20sumstepmom

Answer by 20sumstepmom at 11:01 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I had no idea what that was so I just looked it up and of the list of 8 things that are symptoms, my middle child has all 8. We just classified him as a very strong-willed child. He makes me wanna pull out my hair, lol!

Anyways, I hope that things do get better for you. I'm sure you've tried it all...but that's parenthood...trial and error. What works for one child most likely won't work for another. Hopefully there is something you can do to get her to cooperate.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:55 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Yes. i'm going through the same thing with my 10 yr. old son. He has also been diagnosed with ADHD and ODD. Feel free to pm me. Maybe I can offer some advice or suggestions that were given to me by his dr's.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 12:47 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Thank you to all for this advice. Those of you that have gotten Dr. Advice would be greatly welcomed by me right now, because I am at the end of my rope, I feel entirely wiped out. BiPolar has been 'tossed around' too. Im just tired of getting beat up physically and mentally with nobody taking me seriously as far as the medical community goes.
    lilmizmoore

Answer by lilmizmoore at 10:38 AM on Nov. 27, 2008