Religiosity and Stockholm syndrome.

In psychology, Stockholm syndrome is a term used to describe a paradoxical psychological phenomenon wherein hostages express adulation and have positive feelings towards their captors. These feelings are generally considered irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims, who essentially mistake a lack of abuse from their captors as an act of kindness.

See any similarities between believing in the god from holy texts and Stockholm syndrome?

I know that believers aren't necessarily considered "hostages
," in the truest sense of the word.

But if a religious mind refuses to evaluate the bible critically (without emotion), as well as a critical evaluation of contrary objective facts that disprove what they believe, is it possible that their mind is theoretically held hostage to one way of thinking? 

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 10:43 PM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Religious Debate

• All I said is, I can't talk to you in a reasonable manner. However, it's an open forum,and I'll answer any questions I please. Don't lke it? Don't post.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 10:58 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• No, we don't have "stockholm syndrome" or anything else your mind can concoct. We have free will, we just CHOOSE-got that CHOOSE to exercise our free will to worship God, follow the Bible, and trust in Him and His promises. Just as you CHOOSE to exercise your free will to offend and insult our intelligence and competency.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 10:46 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• You posted this again?!?! Are you bored?
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 11:39 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• She didn't repost. She actually had posted this ridiculous thing twice and this one was hiding over in the religion and beleifs section until now. I don't think anything needs to be repeated just direct people over to the closed question and we're good.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:01 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Aw, look at the little engine that could!

So, who did you wrong in the name of God?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:55 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I thought you were done with me, cbk? Is it in your nature to lie, or did you forget?
    clarity333

Comment by clarity333 (original poster) at 10:50 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• cbk...amen--to both your answers!
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:47 PM on Mar. 26, 2011