What can I do to make flying easier for my 4 month old??

I hate takeoff and landing, and have a hard time with my ears. What can DH and I do to make her first flight enjoyable and pleasant?

kristal2146

Asked by kristal2146 at 9:01 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I took my son to fly at 2 months old and he was a perfect angel...infact the people on the airplane said how cute and well behaved he was. I just made sure he was sucking on something...pacifier, bottle, boob during take off and landing and he was fine. They have changing tables in the bathrooms if you need them and it's best to get a window seat because they will bump into you and your baby going up and down the isle with the drink cart. Make sure you have a toy that keeps her interest and play with her. Or...as a last resort you can test out giving her a dose of benedryl to see how she does and if it makes her sleepy you will know that you can use that right before a flight and she'll probably sleep the whole way. I know some moms in my MOPS group that said they did that...but I personally don't like giving my baby unnecessary medications.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 12:24 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I have an i-touch with baby einstien and sesame street on it. I use it when I'm waiting in the docs office...or even waiting in line. Its so simple to use. Baby einstien holds her attention. I don't think theres much to do about the pressure other then pacifiers and bottles. I think a cold might make it worse so bring saline and the boogie sucker.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 9:10 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• the landing is worse than take of from what i've heard, make sure you are feeding/nursing her during take off and landings to help with the pressure change... other then that, don't be shy about asking a flight attendant for advice or walk around during the flight to keep her occupied and calm...
    AudlyLuvly

Answer by AudlyLuvly at 10:20 PM on Nov. 26, 2008