Women denied certain jobs in the military- Chivalrous or Sexist?

What do you think?

MaterialGirl198

Asked by MaterialGirl198 at 12:18 AM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it depends... There are situations where the entire platoon/company/whatever could be put in danger if there was a female around (such as if they were being attacked--more than likely the men would try to protect the women rather than carry out what they are supposed to be doing). I also feel that they do it to prevent things like women being taken hostage. Like that Jessica Lynch story (I think that's her name). We heard SO MUCH coverage on her (while it is news worthy, don't get me wrong), but we rarely hear of anything that happens to men who are captured. In society's mind, it's a "man's job" because of the danger. Plus the military doesn't hold women to the same standards as me, they are more linient. Personally, though, I feel that women should be given the chance. They know what the risks are of their job, and if they want to go for it, fine. But they shouldn't get special treament simply because they are women
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 2:11 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I think a lot of women couldn't hang with the men in some military jobs, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be given the chance. I know there are some women out there just as capable. But for the most part, I think physically, women have a disadvantage in some jobs and to put them in the situation may harm the "mission" more then help it.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 12:37 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Well most men are physically more stronger then women. I think women should have the option to do some of the jobs men do, though.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:34 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• thats a hard one because i think for safety and other specail reasons woman should be kept closer to base camps.....other countrys dont respect women the same way we do and one being with a group could put the whole group in danger......i know its sexist but sometimes you have to be a realist.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:00 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Any specifics? I think there are just certain things men are better suited for.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:25 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• The more "high risk" jobs, like special ops and navy divers and things of that nature
    MaterialGirl198

Comment by MaterialGirl198 (original poster) at 12:26 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• like is what feild? I know they can't be in the infantry because infantry can go weeks without showers, but due to a womans menstrual cycle they need to be able to shower regularly, so thats just hygenic!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:52 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I think if a woman can pass the tests that they have set they if they choose they should be able to do whatever they want in the military.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I know I wouldn't be suited for combat but I could find a place to do a good job.....if I wanted to join a branch of the Military, but I don't.

as far as COMBAT goes,I have know women who were tough,both physically and mentally. Scary women.LOL. They would do well in the Military in any job.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 7:35 PM on Mar. 27, 2011