What is YOUR opinion on teen moms?

I am a teen mom myself, but If you were a teen mom, or have an opinion about teen moms just comment?

Tell your story and give your opinion!

GraciesMommy464

Asked by GraciesMommy464 at 12:27 AM on Mar. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't understand why people "bash" teen moms.

There are actually TEEN MOM's who give a damn and take good care of their children.

I think of them as Moms.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 12:29 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• As long as they take care of their kids, who cares. There are some great and bad teen parents out there just like there are some great and bad older parents out there. Most of the time age doesnt really matter. It's all about maturity.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:31 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I was a teen when I had my son. I believe in a way having my son saved me. I have made a lot of mistakes but I have learned from them and still continue to learn. I was a single mom up until about a year ago and it was a struggle. I love my son dearly and consider myself a good mom. My mother was also a teen mom and she was a great mother. She never went out or anything and made sure I had a great life, she tried to be strict to prevent me from making the same mistakes she did but I found things out the hard way. I just wish more teen moms would realize how precious the time with their child was instead of wanting to go out and stuff. I'm not saying all teen moms are this way but I have seen a lot of them and it is really sad for the child.
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 12:35 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I am a teen mother, and while the timing with my children might not have been perfect, I wouldnt trade them for the world. I wish people knew that all teen mothers arent like the ones on tv, we take care of our children and want whats best for them just like any other mother out there. I hope teens start using more protection/not having sex so that teens wont be getting pregnant so often.
    merandaobrien

Answer by merandaobrien at 12:44 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I was a first time Mom at 19 years old. I got a lot of dirty looks back then. I got a lot of dirty looks when people found out I was married when I was 18, too. Many comments about how "she must be pregnant" when I wasn't. Shortly after getting married I did get pregnant, though. It annoys me for people to assume a teen Mom is irresponsible or isn't a good Mom simply because of her age. Teen Moms can be awesome or can be crappy, but so can any other Mom of any other age bracket.
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 12:58 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Teen mom's are just like any other mom. Some make good choices, some don't. Same can be said for mom's in their 20's, 30's and so on. Age does play a role, but maturity plays a bigger one. I know quite a few girls from high school who became mothers at a young age and they were/are all wonderful parents! I can't honestly say I've ever met a 'teen mom' who was like some of those morons from the tv shows.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:05 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• There are some good ones and some bad ones. My best friend became a mom at 17, just after graduating high school. She's 5 years younger than me and my oldest was born 1 year and 1 day after her dd (they have been BFFs their whole lives). She has always been my hero. She finished college, was a SAHM (by babysitting during the day), still had a social life and is now an English teacher at a school for troubled teens and going for her Masters. She raised an amazing daughter (now going on 12). Thanks, in part, the the great support she got from her parents.
    My husband's niece, on the other hand, had her first at 18, 2nd at 19 and pawned them off on anyone that would take them or made her husband (who was in his 30s) take care of them so she could sleep all day. She only had them a couple days a week because it was "too hard" to take care of them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:15 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I don't think anything of them. I think that they should have waited, but no one can turn back time. If they are doing their jobs as mommy............well then....they are. I try not to make a decision on a mother's devotion based on her age. Love is a powerful thing and it's ageless.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:24 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• It depends on the mom..i was a teen mom and was always putting my baby first but I knew other teen moms who were shitty and now I have a friend whose daughter is a teen mom and what she writes on her Facebook is like "holy crap and your a mom" grow up for the sake of the child already....ugh! girls like her give teen moms a bad rap
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:50 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I believe that most teen moms dont have the life experience to be considered an adult. They are still children themselves, and although they have to grow up quick, and some do and are great moms, they miss out on so much of what shapes and develops your character as an individual, before becoming a mom. I just feel that they miss out on so much time, where they couod have found themselves and who they were before becoming defined as a mother. Whats done is done, and to those that raise their children right, kuddos to you and continue on doing what you are doing. IMO, those years after being 18 is a time for development as a independent person, so to speak, in that YOU decide what you want for yourself. But once you become a mom your child does, or should, dictate what you do. Not bashing. Its just not something i agree with. To each their own.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:17 AM on Mar. 27, 2011