Do you feel sorry for gang members?

I had a heated debated on FaceBook earlier with a gang member and I pretty much stated how I feel bluntly: I don't feel sorry for them. Too many times, especially from the city I grew up in, I hear "I gang bang because I have to feed my family", "Ain't nobody giving, so I'm going to take!" or the oh so famous "the white man this...etch." .....I'm sorry, but I, personally, have had enough of the "Sob Hood stories" .....Ok, you grew up in the ghetto....and? In my opinion, there is no excuse to rob, steal, and kill innocent people because you are angry you had a rough upbringing or because you didn't have a father or mother around...Ok, I grew up in the same area as most of these "gang bangers" WITHOUT a father and I didn't go around breaking into people's homes and doing drive bys! Yes, I was angry, but I turned that anger into higher education and aspirations. The thing that baffles me is that they do this to protect a color, and a "hood" that hasn't done a damn thing for them.

What do you all think? Do you feel sorry for them?

MaterialGirl198

Asked by MaterialGirl198 at 12:35 AM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Hell no! I grew up in the "hood". I didn't join a gang or do drugs. People can rise above things if they try hard enough.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:36 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I guess I am torn. I feel bad for the young guys, the 12 year olds who get sucked in because they don't have good role models. That is why I am going into juvenile probation, I think a lot of these kids just need someone to look up to! But as for the real "gangs," nope. I think you MAKE your own life, you don't just follow along and do what is easy. Get out of it, change your situation for your children or future children!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 12:54 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I do not feel sorry for them one bit. Especially if they use the excuse that they do it for their family. It's a lazy and stupid way to support a family considering if they get caught then they are going to get locked up and leave their families to fend for themselves. My father worked extremely hard doing REAL work to take care of us.
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 12:45 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I think people who join gangs do so because they are looking for an excuse to not have to do anything, be bullies, rip and run, etc. All they needed was some 'at arms length social reformer' tell them that it isn't their fault, people aren't 'giving them' anything, its survival, or any bunch of excuses. Psychologists, progressives, wealth redistributers, and good intentioned people have empowered these people to join gangs. They 'need' them for support they don't get. BS on that. People need violence as the support they don't get. No, I don't buy that at all.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:18 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I have seen those with a desire to be better~ work hard, dedicate their young lives to be better~ despite where they live and who raised ( or didn't raise them).... I admire them. But I don't feel sorry for those who didn't have the confidence to be a strong minded individual and chose violence over taking pride in themselves and their community. Gang members have no self respect. So they deserve zero respect and zero pity. Jmo.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:45 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Not a bit.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:02 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• do not feel sorry
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 12:39 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• LOL gang members on fb...i have one that likes to pretend. i only feel sorry for them because nobody has told them how stupid they look in a way they could understand.
    sophistcatdfury

Answer by sophistcatdfury at 12:53 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• ILoveCade has a really good answer. I'm with her on this one.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:59 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• No I dont feel sorry for them. Everyone has a story and everyone has something in their lives they struggle with. You can either take that experience and turn it into a positive, or blame your lack of things and education on it. My kids were raised without a dad, and for awhile we were also poor. We also lived in not such a great part of town for a year or two. My kids easily could say its because how I was raised. But I dont allow it. I have one child who tries to say stupid crap like you gotta do what you gotta do to survive. He knows straight up if and when he gets into trouble hes going to sit and rot in jail.

Answer by gemgem at 1:04 PM on Mar. 27, 2011