Would you put him in a pull up/night underwear?

My SS mom claims my stepson is night trained but anytime he has been over here for the weekend he pees the bed every single night. I've told her this and she says it's because it's a new place and he doesn't know where that bathroom is. It's been almost 10 months and he comes here all the time but it still happens. My husband had be buy those night underwear ( guess they are big boy pull ups) so he doesn't continue to pee the bed. Should we tell his mom what we did? Or asked permission to do it? Personally I am tired of changing pee sheets every night knowing he will just pee them again the following night. He's 4 years old

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 12:49 AM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• if he is doin it at ur house then there isnt anythin wrong with gettin pull ups. are u letting him drink before bed. my 3 yr old isnt allowed anythin a hr before bed and i make him go right before he lays down.
    LindasueDa

Answer by LindasueDa at 12:55 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• If he is peeing in the bed at your house than its up to you. His mom isnt the one having to change and wash those sheets every day. I would put them on him and talk to him about the bed wetting, dont give him any drinks 2 hours before bed time, and make him go potty before he goes to bed. If he stops wetting in the night time pants, then he doesnt have to wear them anymore. Good luck mama!
    merandaobrien

Answer by merandaobrien at 12:55 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I have the same problem as you have. My almost 4 yr. old Grandson has accidents sometimes and i keep bigger diapers or pullups for him when he spends the night here with me. I never thought i had to ask permission. This is my home and i can't wash sheets each time this happens. I would make my own diapers if i had to. Do what you have to do. I was once told to do things smarter not harder. So this looks like a lot of work, when it doesn't have to be. I say YES use the pullups, save a lot of work.
    mollybleu

Answer by mollybleu at 12:59 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• my 5yr old wears night time underwear. saves me a lot of grief. My mom is the one that talked him into wearing them w/ no shame. She showed him her depends that she has to wear at night. Now he and grandma wear "nighttime" underwear.
    Also want to share 2 things. Preservatives in food, most times in bread causes night wetting. And for me when I was a kid it was if I consumed dairy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Then use the night time pants for a while and see how he does. Good luck!
    merandaobrien

Answer by merandaobrien at 1:02 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Nothing wrong with using the night-time pants while he's at your house. My suspicion is that he does wet at his mother's, but since she insists he doesn't, it isn't worth the effort to confront her. She might be getting him up in the middle of the night or stopping liquids at a very early time in the evening. No way to tell.

Kids who wet at night usually don't have as well developed of a urinary tract or it may be from an imbalance in a particular hormone (arginine vasopressin, if any one is interested). It's important to protect the little guy's self esteem, since this is NOT something he can control. Either count on washing sheets or get him the over-night pants and chalk up mom's "assurances" to nothing.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:00 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• It is your home, use the pullups. Like others have said, Don't let him drink anything at least an hour before bed. GL.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:31 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Use the night time pullups. Everyone will be happy that way. He is still very young to be dry at night.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:39 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I WOULD talk about ti with her...for sure..JUST to be fair. BUT you are totally in the right to want to do something. Either that or have HER wash the sheets!
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 7:16 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Dinner is at 6 and that is the last time he gets something to drink and bedtime is 8. We do make him use the restroom before bed but he always pees the bed.
    mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 12:57 AM on Mar. 27, 2011