Dog >:(

My bf has been bothering me for a puppy for months. He seen an ad today about a puppy that some people found and if they didn't find it a home they were going to take it to the pound. So I gave in and said he could get it. I am not a dog person and I'm worried my son may be allergic to them. I am going to get him tested but around dogs with long hair (which would cause more dander I'm guessing) he will get a stuffy nose and red, puffy, watery eyes. I didn't want a big dog either, but the puppy looks like a lab which means it's probably going to be big with lots of hair. We are fixing to have a house with a fanced in yard so that's why I gave in. I am fixing to have a baby in a month and I don't think I will have much time to care for it while he is at work, thinking about a newborn, a 3 yr old, and a puppy seems like a lot to deal with. I'm worried about it barking if we put it outside, I would hate to get the kids asleep and it start barking or I would hate for the neighbors to complain. It's not house trained yet, it already peed on my bed! I am a clean freak so it really bothers me. I feel bad because I see how happy it made my boyfriend and I feel like it would be selfish of me to not give in and let him keep it since he has always done so much for me. I just wanted to vent some so I didn't accidentally blow up on my boyfriend about it. I would really like for him to be able to keep it, and he knows it's his responsibility. Maybe I am worrying or stressing too much? I mean it's the small things in life that create happiness so I wish I could just let it be. Am I over thinking it before I really give the puppy a chance?

kayaiden8907

Asked by kayaiden8907 at 1:23 AM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Pets

• I just went though the same thing (minus being preggers) My husband wanted a dog and I didn't want to potty train a dog, when I am trying to potty train our son. We saw one on the shelter website and went to look at it. It is a mastiff/hound mix and at 11 months old weighed 60 lbs. We didn't get the dog that night though, so on the way home, I told my husband that I wasn't sure about it. Well to make a long story short, my husband went back and brought the dog home, after he and I had agreed about it. Luckily the dog is pretty much house trained and makes a great friend for our son, who is 16 months old. It is a lot like having two toddlers though, because they are both always getting into the same thing and making twice as big a mess. It is alot getting used to, but I love animals so I don't mind it. I would make sure your bf is doing his fair share of the work though, because you shouldn't have to do everything
    noahsmom13

Answer by noahsmom13 at 12:40 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Don't keep your dog outside. That's cruel. Dogs are pack animals and need to be a part of your family...your family will be your pack. If you didn't have the time to look after it, you shouldn't have got it. Your BF has been nagging you, but is he doing is fair share?? The dog should be a family pet and a family responsibility, not something that's cute for a weeks and then shut up in a garden. The puppy will cry and bark, that's what they do...it is a BABY DOG. Invest in some puppy training, spend as much time as you can training the dog before baby arrives. Labs are lovely, easy going family dogs, but they need excercise. Oh and just keeping it in the garden ISNT excercise, they will need to be played with, walked daily etc. Make the dog a part of your daily routine. I have a 3 yr old and a 2 month old...as well as two 5 yr olds, a 7 year old, a 9 year old and a 13 year old, and i've always had time for our pets. GL
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 8:21 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Congrats on the pup and baby. U r overthinking it it will be fine..
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:47 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• aww kayaiden :( You have a lot on your plate hun and I feel ya. My son is allergic to dogs. Anyway...you have a baby on the way to think about and having a puppy is just like having a child. Trust me on that! My husband somehow talked me in to not just one but two and here I thought he would be taking care of them but guess who is stuck doing that and up right now at 1:30 in the morning because they woke her up!
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 1:31 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• That is what I am worried about Jujubean! :( I don't want a dog to care for. It's another mouth to feed. I am only doing it to make him happy but I am so worried that me and the dog aren't going to get along well...
    kayaiden8907

Comment by kayaiden8907 (original poster) at 1:35 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Black Labs are wonderful family dogs. I have a Beagle and a Black Lab. Our Beagle drove me crazy when he was a puppy. We got the Black Lab almost a year ago. The Beagle was a pain in the butt to potty train, too. The Lab was easy. Labs are easy going and love attention. They are really good with children, and are not territorial at all. I hope that your ds isn't allergic to dogs. Potty training dogs and children are no picnic.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:41 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Dogs are a big responsibility. They are also wonderful to have as part of the family. Children that grow up with pets are smarter, caring,more nurturing, and more patient.

dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:03 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I don't plan on just throwing the dog outside, I don't even have a garden and I am well aware on how to care for an animal as I worked at a doggy daycare for years...
    kayaiden8907

Comment by kayaiden8907 (original poster) at 11:05 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• if you keep it out side it won't be too much of a problem.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 3:58 AM on Mar. 27, 2011