How do you/I handle a teen that is not interested in church/doesn't like the one I've chosen?

momma922

Asked by momma922 at 2:34 AM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'd let them decide if they want to go to church. If not, I wouldn't force it on them. I'd find out if it's the church itself, members, or the whole aspect of believing. Maybe they just don't want to go.
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 2:45 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Thank you, I appreciate your insight and comment.
    momma922

Comment by momma922 (original poster) at 2:47 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• My parents told use that you go until ur at least 18 and we did so
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 2:51 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• compromise? I don't know how important church is to you but aside from what Mrs.B said about letting the teen choose themselves you can try to look for a church you will all enjoy or let your teen go to a church of their choice if it is important to you that they attend. I wouldn't force it though. It just drives kids away and builds resentment in them.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:52 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• religion is a choice. you can go to church and not be a christian. and vise versa, you can be a christian and not go to church. while religion may be important to you, (s)he won't become a christian by being there. it has to be something (s)he wants. it has to be his/her choice to go or it still won't matter.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 3:08 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• You can tell him that it is only an hour a week, it won't hurt him to go. If you lay a foundation for your children they may stray away for a while but as he gets older he will still have those values instilled in him. You can also strike a deal with him. Tell him that it is important to you that you go to church as a family on Sundays and you understand that he is not interested in going but that you would like him to compromise with you and go at least twice a month or every other Sunday.
    MoneyGirl-Mom

Answer by MoneyGirl-Mom at 4:16 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Going to church doesn't make anyone a Christian. If that were true standing in a garage would make you a car.
    This is what was discussed in an earlier post when discussing if parents forced children to go to church or not. No one believed the practice still occured today.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:15 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I used to get in trouble if I didn't go to church. That was after bribery and guilt did not work.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:18 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• If he doesn't want to go then don't force him.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:23 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I don't think a teen should be forced to attend religious services if they don't want to. At some point, their religious affiliations need to be their choice. I think that once my kids are old enough to stay at home alone, I will not force them to attend Mass if they don't want to. Encouraging is really all we can do as parents - forcing them into it will only make them resent faith and reject it for reasons other than discovering that they don't really believe.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:44 AM on Mar. 27, 2011