When do I worry that my 18 mo old is not very verbal?

momma922

Asked by momma922 at 2:35 AM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 3 dss didn't start seriously talking until after they turned 2. This is normal. A friend of mine didn't start talking until she was 3. The parents were concerned. The pediatrician told them that some children develop a little later. Everything turned out fine. My friend just happens to be a quiet person.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:48 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• My DS is almost 20 months old, and he is still not "talking" talking. He can say a few words, but he really has to be prompted. He says about 4 words unprompted. Mama, dog, oh-wee (if you consider that a word), and uh-oh. He is still very intelligent, and he understands what I'm saying. If I tell him we are going to take a bath; he goes to the bathroom. If I we are going to eat; he gets in his booster seat at the table. I believe he will talk when he is ready, and so will your child.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 3:01 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Thank you!!!!! I have been falling into the trap of where my older kids were at this age.
    momma922

Comment by momma922 (original poster) at 3:02 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• You shouldn't be concerned. My oldest was talking in complete sentences when he was 21 months old and my youngest had only a hand full of words you could understand by the time he was 2. However the youngest was walking at 9 months and the oldest didn't walk till he was almost a year old. Children litterally can't learn to walk and talk at the same time. It is one thing at a time.
    MoneyGirl-Mom

Answer by MoneyGirl-Mom at 4:08 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• My oldest didn't talk real good until 2. However, my youngest was using sentences at 1 yr old and now my 13 month old only says "da da". Every child is different and they will do these things in their own time when they are ready.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 5:31 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• i would have him evaluated. my son at 18mths didnt say much, i had him evaluated and he received speech therapy, now at 3 he's still not having full conversations but his language has improved a lot. It doesnt hurt just to get an evaluation. It's better to be safe and if he needs it, get the help sooner rather than later, when it will be harder for him. The worse they can say is, yes, he does need speech therapy and he'll get the help he needs, if not, then yay!, he'll catch up soon. Hope everything works out well.
    gummybearmomma

Answer by gummybearmomma at 1:44 PM on Mar. 27, 2011