How long can a person go without sleep?

I'm in sleep deprivation.It has been close to 38 hours maybe I have had 2 hours of sleep yesterday morning.I have not even slept 6 hours in close to 5 days.It started with leg pains that was unbearable two days nothing helped.Then for the last two days migraine headaches the worse I have had in years.And the medication the doctor gave me keeps me up for days and days and I can not even Blink.It's like it's got me on speed.Really I cant even remember when I slept last.Now I am just ranting and losing it.. This buzzing in my head cant be good.right? Do we just pass out when we don't sleep?

newbabystarr09

Asked by newbabystarr09 at 5:28 AM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Health

• the longest i went without sleep was when my middle daughter had pneumonia and an asthma attack. i think i slept a total of 6 hours in 3 days, hospitals are the worst place ever to try and get some sleep.

im sorry you're having a rough time. the migraines could be just from lack of sleep. it sounds like you really need to get a new medication for them though. im not sure what happens if we go too long without sleep, i know we begin to lose it mentally but i think that's if its been like a straight week or something with 0 hours of sleep. but physically and mentally we NEED sleep. take care of yourself mama and hope it gets better!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:32 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I went for 30 days with out sleep. I was to the point of halusinating by that time. Both visually and audio. That is scary.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 6:02 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• You will fall asleep with out even knowing you did eventually. You might have already and didn.t even know it.

Answer by louise2 at 6:40 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• i agree w louise ull eventually fall asleep, but if u dont id go see a neurologist, some of them are very thurough in there stuies and there not there just for epilepsy, they might be able to give you some helpful tips.good luck and i hope u get some sleep soon, i cant go on less then seven hours of sleep cause i just feel weird the next day.also maybe try something that will help relax u at night try to calm yourself down before u go to sleep.hope this helps.xos hugs
    luckygirl2000

Answer by luckygirl2000 at 9:01 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• 2 days for me. Someone should take you to another Dr. that medication isn't working with your body.
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 9:52 AM on Mar. 27, 2011