Organization for children with ADHD?

I'm curious about different types of organizing for school for children with ADHD... My SD was recently diagnosed, and we buy her school supplies each year, so I wanted to see what kind of special things we should buy this year... I heard colored paper is good for children with ADHD, and also folders, but what else?

laird6372

Asked by laird6372 at 5:52 AM on Mar. 27, 2011 in

• the binder then has a folder for each subject. At the beginning of the day the teacher loads his binder with all of the days work sheets so he knows exactly what needs done and when. And most importantly a 'Completed folder' so he can not loose it before it is turned in! So basically this year the teacher is doing a lot of the organization for him. This doesn't mean he isn't being taught how to organize himself though. Right now for him, organization is prohibiting his learning. He can't find papers, he can't find crayons... SO right now what he has to organize is restricted. They will slowly over then next few years teach him how to do it himself. As he is ready. They are giving him tools., teaching him how to use them and *then* pushing him forward.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:19 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• My son actually Asperger's but he has a major deficiency in organization. He is in 1st grade this year and his teachers have decided he can't handle a desk. Instead he has a big bulk mail bucket that sits beside his desk. This is better for him because he can look down into it an see everything. Not that it is more organized but it is easier to see things and easier to clean out. His small tools like crayons, pencils and scissors are kept at the teachers desk adn he only gets them when he needs them. Obviously this is pretty drastic but it is *That* bad. The thing I love is his binder. The first page is a visual schedule of how the day runs. (breakfast, writing, math, specials...) then there is his reward chart. The top of the page is 'what I am working towards' and there is a picture of what reward he has picked. There are some other pages there that would not translate to adhd I am sure... con't
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:15 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• the supply list for schools is the same for all students usually and the school only wants the items listed i have found
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 12:26 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• All of the supplies we'd get would be on the list, but we want to see if there's certain types that help children with ADHD. Like when it says notebook, we could look for a notebook that helps organized. When it says folders, we can color-coordinate the folders to the subject. Stuff like that.
    laird6372

Comment by laird6372 (original poster) at 9:48 PM on Mar. 27, 2011