Parents to children with ADHD?

I have a little girl that will be 5 this year. She has been diagnosed with adhd, low muscle tone and has some developmental delays (she is delayed about 15 months behind) . She is in physical/Occupational and Speech therapy for her low muscle tone and develpomental delays. She is improving and has been doing good. I am just curious how other mothers treat/help their children that have ADHD? I don't want to use the medication until I feel that it is neccessary or until she is older. I'm looking for things I can do to help her without using the medication. Thanks!

L0vingMy3Girls

Asked by L0vingMy3Girls at 7:11 AM on Mar. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• Changes in diet, Behavior Modification Therapy, and organization are great, I hear. A book we read that we LOVED was the ADHD BOOK OF LISTS...VERY simple to understand, it's all in bulleted lists, and organized so you can look for a specific thing and turn to that list.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 7:21 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Definitely try removing ALL artificial food colorings from her diet. It has helped WORLDS with my DD. It's seriously like night and day with her :) Good luck!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 7:45 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Make sure that there is less stimuli around when she is working on a specific learning process----children with adhd are easily distracted and need quiet to focus.
    lecates

Answer by lecates at 8:31 AM on Mar. 27, 2011