How can i get my daughter to stop hitting?

Im a first time mother. My daughter is 14 months old. She goes to a home day care that has 5 other kids. Every day that I pick her up, the sitter tells me that she was on time out a few times. So of course I ask why. She says that my daughter likes to go around smacking the other kids and hitting them in the head with toys.

Sometimes she likes to smack me in my face. I push her hand away and tell her no and even put her on time out but it seems to be getting worse.

Am I doing the rgith thing? Is this normal for a 14 month old? Any tips on how to correct this problem?

Thank You

Mariahsmommy927

Asked by Mariahsmommy927 at 9:30 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes I believe that behavior is normal especially since she is at daycare....I think that peaceful parenting is best you gently tell her something like "Gracie we need nice hands" then you take your hands and rub her arms. You should ask your sitter to follow the same method that you use. To scare her or yell will just make things worse or do it more since she sees a reaction out of you!

megan772

Answer by megan772 at 9:36 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Your daughter is hitting kids for the same reason other kids that age do, she wants to see how the other kid will react. Just keep telling her that it's wrong to hit and she will outgrow it :-)
    MrsHart6

Answer by MrsHart6 at 12:36 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I'm going through the same thing with my son. I will be just sitting there watching tv and he will run up to me and smack me. I've tried the firm no, time out and trying to teach him nice and gentle touch. I try not to react by saying ouch because that makes him laugh. I'm getting so frustrated. He made his sister cry because he threw a toy at her and yanked her hair. I gave him a minute time out but not a few minutes later he was at it again.
    soon2bemomof307

Answer by soon2bemomof307 at 10:05 PM on Nov. 30, 2008