I have a 12 yr old son who has an IEP and someone suggested I should question if he has Asperger's. The school asked if I was sure I wanted that diagnosis. Why wouldn't I want the diagnosis?

ebcooks

Asked by ebcooks at 7:39 AM on Mar. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• My aunts son was just diagnosed with Aspergers a couple weeks ago and she was relieved! They thought it was Autism for many years so she finally took him to a specialist in Boston. She said it took the doctor about 1 min. of talking to him and he knew exactly what it was. My Aunt was so glad to finally get a "for sure" diagnosis! She explained to me that Asperger's is a milder case of Autism, kids with this are actually more functional. They are most times sensitive to loud noises and they like things to be a certain way, they like routine, it's hard for them to sit still. He also told her that people with Asp. are usually exceptional in certain areas, like in her son's case MATH! The doctor asked her son a difficult math problem while in the office, that most of us couldn't do in their head and he knew the answer right then! It wouldn't hurt for you to get your child diagnosed and if he does, it's not a bad thing!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 8:16 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• They tested my son for that, but it turned out he has ADHD, i don't understand why the school would say that. My oldest has a friend that has it and in alot of kids i don't think you can even tell. and i guess if he is 12 and nobody ever even suggested that he be tested before then chances are he may not even have it. I am sure that you have read up on it and know about it, i guess i wouldn't worry about it too much and i would get him tested just to see.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 7:44 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Specific diagnosis can certainly help a student but it can also hinder because it is so specific. It's easy for some people to use a diagnosis to conveniently place your child into a certain box without looking at their actual individual needs. Not everyone will do that but some will and that may not serve your son well. It's entirely up to you. If you feel that the IEP doesn't do him justice, request testing but if the school appears to be covering everything without a diagnosis, maybe it's best to leave it at that.

Best of luck!
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 8:01 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Well, I don;t know that anyone 'wants' it. It sure doesn't hurt to check though. There are children who live with Asperger's for years with out a diagnosis because it is so 'mild'. It makes things so much easier for every one to have the correct diagnosis because you can't help someone if you are't offering them the tools they need to succeed. ADHD and Asperger's require a lot of the same tools but there are some things a child with Asperger's needs a different help with.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:23 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I work with a student with Aspberger's---that diagnosis might qualify him for more help---and more understanding of his behavior. And I have found students with this problem to be extremely bright, just more direction and reteaching needed for a new concept. My student is graduating this year with a 3.7 average and has matured so much in the 4 years I have worked with him----and with his diagnosis, I am a one on one with him---and with that diagnosis, if needed, he would qualify for that.
    lecates

Answer by lecates at 8:30 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• The school system discouraged me from getting my son diagnosed with Autism as well. I insisted. They told me they didnt want him labeled, but that was nonsense. They did not want to have on record they knew what was wrong with him so when they screwed up they wouldnt get into trouble. After I had it in his record he got alot more understanding and help/.

Answer by gemgem at 8:48 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I had IEP friday
    daughter 3.5 yrs old
    she has autism, two doctor reports
    it is NOT in school file, she is young so different
    there is educational autism and autism
    the school told me that she is too young to say educational autism
    she gets services with different code, Senosry processing disorder, speech, OT, PT etc

IMO, i do not see why a parent would shy away from getting a doctor to eval for ANY issue
    if society all of a sudden had stigma about heart defect or broken bones, would/should a parent shy away from getting all the medical help available to help there child? of course not, so why is a label of autism or Asperger's something to hide.

fight the system and society's fear of the label. it is a condition not anything to be hidden away

and at 12 yrs old, school will have to take this into effect when doing IEP
    i am early on my path with school system, but do know they have budget, parent has
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:25 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• also
    i went to seminiar with doc who deals with older kids (like yours at 12)
    a parent asked (child was 14) just found out child has Aspergers, should parent tell the child
    doctor said YES!! it helps child know why some things are different for them, that they are not a 'freak', explains why some things are different and relieves the child of a burden, can also meet other kids with same issues-and this is huge help for child
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:29 AM on Mar. 27, 2011