What would you do if your child told you they 'remembered' past lives?

My daughter, who is 6, started saying yesterday that she used to be a nurse so she understands my sister being tired when she gets home from work. For YEARS she's been hinting that she remembers things from her past and that she's at least 4 different lives, before she'd ever heard of anything like it and I always just smiled and said 'that's nice' but she gives me full details of scenarios and things she went through during this period so it does make me wonder. For example describing an earthquake and using words I'd no clue she knew as a 3 year old like magnitude...

My parents laugh in her face which I think is cruel. I don't know what to say, maybe she picks up on things others say and then repeats them. I don't think I can believe her as my grandma does.

Should I be worried or is this just a good imagination? My DH has a degenerative condition that means one day he won't be with us anymore and we've explained this to her only recently as it's accelerated and she's so happy because she says his next life will be waiting for him and he'll be healthy so we can't miss him when he's gone, just be happy that somewhere he's enjoying himself.

Any ideas ladies?

I bet I sound like a right nut!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• There was a story years ago about a young boy who appeared to be remembering a past life. Here is a link.

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=7782297

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:47 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I would think it was kinda cool. and i totally believe in that stuff, because really it wouldn't make sense saying some of the things she says. I think its kinda a gift. I don't think people should make fun of her but i would make sure she is not saying the things around those people.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 8:58 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• cool video layh41407
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:03 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• i know in my heart and soul that there is more to life then what us mere mortals can take in with our 5 senses
    there are more senses that we have but do not access
    i would tend to believe her , she sounds like a "sensitive"
    a good sign of real memory and not imagination is the sense of smell
    for example... a friend of mine described a dream she has had many times, she told me about it and described the smells of a market place, immediately i asked her if she thought this was a past life - she was shocked because she did always think this but too scared to tell anyone for fear of people thinking she was insane. i told her that when dreaming, you do not dream of smells, at least smells you have never experienced in 'real' life. hers were of market in India (she has never been there, so no expereince with those smells) hence-she did smell those-must have been past life
    ask daughter about how things smell? she can not imagine
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:05 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• My youngest seems to remember things. My son whose 11 has always been very spiritual and Christian. I mean, like we called him a preacher lol. Thing is we never went to church and he just always knew things and would tell us things from the Bible and about heaven and hell. My dd who is 6 now would tell me what he said wasnt true because she remembered heaven. She said before she was born she was in a pretty place with nice people and they sent her back to be born. She told me that she saw me in heaven and wanted to be with me and they sent her to be my daughter. I always just say oh thats a wonderful story sweetie! She really believes this though, and has been telling us this since she was around 3.

Answer by gemgem at 9:09 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• watched the clip
    goose bumps

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:15 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Id be positive about it and encourage talk and if anyone wigged on my child, Id be having a serious talk with them about respecting my child and their ideas/thoughts/beliefs/etc even if they dont believe them.

Id ask questions, have them draw pictures and whatever else they wanna do. Even if it turned out not to be real(and I do believe in past lives)its still them using their imaginations and that is something I strongly encourage.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:48 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Believe, believe, believe. Children are infinitely closer to the divine than we are. We have years of socially imposed filters causing doubt and requiring proof. I think you just have an incredibly perceptive child on your hands and I would totally support her.
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 10:00 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I'd congratulate your wise little girl.

I'm jealous...I wish *I* was as connected to my past incarnations.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:12 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• This is interesting. I always say children's minds are the less poisoned and they are more likely to reveal the truth
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 11:38 AM on Mar. 27, 2011