Do parents agree with what is taught in schools about sex ed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• When my oldest was in 6th I did not agree. We were living in NJ and they were teaching the girls how to put a condom on with their mouth. I thought now theres a party trick! My other kids who were younger were living in NC and I havent had an issue with it so far. They have been taught the basics. They start in 5th grade and take a class once a year and then get a little more info every year until finally they get condoms and taught about everything. In all honesty by that time my kids already know because I have told them myself & offered condoms and birth control to them.

Answer by gemgem at 9:01 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I think what they taught us was good so, so far, no, I don't.
    Too many parents drop the ball on the topic if sex which makes sex ed crucial for schools to teach IMO
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 8:51 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• So far what our schools have taught has been fine with me. In 5th grade they seperate the girls and boys and talk about their changing bodies, not much about sex. As they get older they go into more details, although by that time my children already know everything. We talked to our oldest and middle children when they were 10 years old and my youngest will be 10 this year so we will talk to her as well. We have always been open with our children and even when they were young and had questions we answered them in a way they could understand.

I think the schools are teaching more about sex education now because there are so many people out there that don't talk to their children.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:13 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I'm ok with what our schools here are teaching however I believe it's more imortant for kids to get their sex education at home. I've always wanted my kids to understand that their are both physical and emotional aspects of sex but that sex can be a wonderful experience in a loving and committed relationship. I don't want my kids to ever think that sex is bad but I also want them to do it when they are ready and not just when their partners are ready or in the heat of the moment. My girls know and they have come to me when they were ready for birth control and there is a basket of condoms in the bathroom that I replenish when needed. Like I've said in other posts, I'm not perfect and my oldest became a teen mom, however hopefully my other girls have learned from her mistake. But the bottom line is the sex talk should be ongoing.
    MommaKath1975

Answer by MommaKath1975 at 9:30 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• gemgem - Did the parents put a stop to the condom issue? Sorry, but, my husband and I would have raised hell. That's a Cosmo article, not 6th grade sex ed.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 9:52 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Not from what I've heard.  I will be the one to teach my children about sex, not their school.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:48 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• No. Because it is abstinence only in our schools. I advocate for comprhensive sex education.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:03 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I really like your answer October---and also MammKath1975 - BOTH Very mature and intellgent.
    And ...wow, that NJ condom story is enough to make me throw up!!!
    Seriously tho---I hope the parents objected to that demonstration and that kind of information....OMG. That's disgusting!

Schools can present topics that are appropriate and informative and fill in the blanks that parents leave when they chicken out and avoid talking to their kids about sex, love,.responsibility. Something tells me that the parents who 'drop the ball' about sex education will do the same in other areas of raising their kids ...which results in kids getting into all kinds of trouble.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:04 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Mine are just in K and 1st so I don't have any issue with it yet. But I'm not going to be surprised to have 'issues' with it when it starts to happen.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:49 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Mine isn't even in school yet buy, I'm not going to have an issue with anything that is factual & informative, just like every other subject.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 10:07 AM on Mar. 27, 2011