Second hand smoke?

now im not a smoker so dont get all nutty on me... a friend of mine is a pack a day smoker she smoked through all 3 of her pregnancies.. ( i know i know its awful ive told her that.. she doesnt think so but i digress..) her youngest is about 18 months old and only weighs 16 lbs.. do you guys think that all that second hand smoke could be affecting this childs growth... this is what im thinking but im not sure ... thoughts

zperez0809

Asked by zperez0809 at 9:30 AM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Health

• idk but could be, I know my friend has a child and she doesnt smoke and her son was just as small. It ended up being an issue in his brain and it took her YEARS to get diagnosed. He just had surgery in fact and is recovering. He had some sort of tumor in his brain that was leaning on the part of the brain that had to do with growth. If he is small and not getting bigger she should get him checked out.

My own granddaughter is also very tiny. Again her mom doesnt smoke. She just turned 2 and is 23 lbs. She is just very tiny and petite like her mom.

Answer by gemgem at 9:33 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Yes. it could be. Just spending an hour in a room with a smoker is like the child smoking 25 filters its self. So imagin 9 months, unable to get away, of secondhand smoke! Whew!
    GraciesMommy464

Answer by GraciesMommy464 at 9:34 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Ok, I'm a smoker but we all know that smoking while pregnant is not a healthy choice for the baby. The second hand smoke may be affecting that child's growth but there are aot of small babies that live in non smoking homes. Sure it's much better if the mom did not smoke but to blame it all on second hand smoke would be stretching it in my opinion.
    MommaKath1975

Answer by MommaKath1975 at 9:35 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Yes, it can be due to his mom smoking while pregnant plus the 2nd hand smoke. What does her dr. tell her?
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 9:48 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Smoking during pregnancy only stunts growth in the womb. Once the child is born it no longer affects them in that way. My friend smoked during her pregnancy and her doctor said it ONLY affected the baby because moms who smoke eat less because they smoke when they are hungry. She made an effort to eat more and her baby was more then 9 lbs. Second hand smoke does not stunt growth by itself. You cannot blame second hand smoke on EVERYTHING.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• second hand smoke is hurting the kids in more than 1 way!!! what a self centered person putting that garbage before the health of her kids! if she is dumb enough to want to kill herself slowly that is deal but to put her kids in that predicament(sp) is just ridiculous!!! ugh people like that make me sick. she is probably one of the people i cuss when i come out of a store of restaurant and have to walk through their wall of smoke!
    newlife627

Answer by newlife627 at 10:11 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• it could be that - or babies that were exposed to smoke while they were invitro might be permanently stunted in growth. thats sad. i am currently trying to quit - i know it is so bad - but i would never smoke in my house or around my kid. she is just being selfish. (so am i by smoking at all - i know!)
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:41 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• There are many reasons the child is so small. Smoking/second hand smoke could be one of the many reasons.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:36 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• second hand smoke isn't good for anyone. especially children since they are still developing.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 3:50 AM on Mar. 28, 2011