Alcohol and liver disease? adult content

does anyone have any experience with an alcoholic family member or themselves developing liver disease from a heavy drinking lifestyle? my husband who has only recently admitted to "maybe having an issue" with alcohol but is really a high functioning alcoholic is afraid he may be having issues with his liver...
BUT he not only refuses AA, rehab and counseling but also refuses to go to the dr. so this is all internet search paranoia... however it is quite possible i think. he's only 30 but has been drinking for 18 years, heavily for about 15. i realize a lot of these are just how alcoholics act, but just in case somebody has some knowledge on the subject here are the....
symptoms:
extremely itchy (burning) hands but no dry skin
pain under his rib cage on the right
also shooting pains in his chest (both sides) that he says is gas?
over 10 fatty deposits all over his body some the size of golf balls (ew)
hemorrhoids: enough that he complains constantly (and i was the one who had 3 10lb babies!)
horrible mood swings
irrational anger
random vomiting that he refuses to equate with drinking too much but doesn't coincide with the number of beers
i can't tell if he's yellow or not... but i'm not a doctor!
and i repeat: he refuses the dr or help in anyway, he's trying to detox himself (again) with what he read online (i know i know, eye rolling inserted here)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Health

• My mom died from cirrhosis of the liver.  From drinking. He is having the same symptoms that my mom did.  You can force him to go to the hospital.  Call an ambulance.  You can also get power of attorney. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:45 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I definitely think he has a problem and you definitely need to get him help. If he will not do it for himself tell him to do it for his kids. For his kids maybe then he will get help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Is his stomach swollen?

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:47 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• it's hard to tell if his stomach is swollen because he has gained a good amount of weight since we met, and i would consider him overweight right now... so i'm not sure?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:49 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• how would i go about getting power of attorney? if i tried to force him to do anything or go anywhere i would fully expect an adult temper tantrum
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:51 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• our kids constantly tell him that he smells like yucky beer, or that beer makes him have a big belly... but he hears what he wants to hear from all of us and nothing more :(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:52 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• It depends on your state.  In Indiana, my dad was able to get power of attorney because my mom refused to go to the hospital and/or Dr. and her stomach looked like she was pregnant with twins.  She threw a tantrum also, lol.  Honestly, I would just tell him period point blank, go to the hospital or get out.  Don't enable him.  I called an ambulance to get my mom, they forced her to go to the hospital.  Maybe wait until he's crocked and then call?  Then when the ambulance gets there tell them that you've discovered the fatty deposits.  You might be able to easily prove that he is unfit mentally to handle his own healthcare.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:57 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• His symptoms sound exactly like my late neighbors. She was an alcoholic who tried to make people believe she had quit drinking. Not so. After her death her husband found 5th's of booze hidden all over their home. She died of liver failure due to alcoholism. It was NOT pretty. Check the whites of your husbands eyes. They will take on a yellow cast before his skin will. His vomiting can also be caused by Pancreatitis, brought on my alcohol abuse. that too will also cause the type of pain & vomiting you describe. Pancreatitis is a very serious disease, & can be fatal very quickly. Your husbands reluctance to go see a Dr. is probably due to 1---shame & embarassment, & 2--fear of what they'll find. No, you cant force him to go, but you can tell him you love & support him 100% & donot want to live your life without him. He needs medical attention quickly, so try to figure out a way for that to happen. I wish you the best.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 9:58 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I second what RubyinPA says,also maybe gall bladder disease as well. Maybe all 3!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:20 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Yes,His liver is failing.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:23 AM on Mar. 27, 2011