Out of control daughter

She's only 4....I'm at my wits end. She's in the corner and she starts licking her bare feet.
Is she doing this for attention or is it something else?
She's been pushing her brothers, spitting at people (we don't spit, so I think she's picking this up somewhere).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Attention! Let her lick them, it can't kill her. Ignore her, and follow through with punishments. Tell her what is expected of her and when she does not do it, she goes in time out!! Be strict! Most importantly, follow through every time! Good luck!
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 9:48 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• How long has this been going on?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:48 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I would ignore what she does in the corner unles it is causing other big problems. Make sure each kid gets plenty of positive individual attention too. Lots of times they go for the negative attention when they don't get enough positive attention.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:52 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Behavior of children doesn't neccissarily have to come from an outward source. Children do come up with things on their own. Whether it be for attention, for lack of ability to verbalize what they need, or otherwise. My son has been caught licking his feet and clearly none of us do that. It's something that he thought up himself, yet we have no idea why he does it. Your daughter's behavior could be for attention, boredom, or her outcry for her needs to be met. You're going to have to talk to her and do process of elimination to try to figure out why she's acting this way.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:35 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I agree that the behavior is not something you want to feed with attention, but punishing it seems ridiculous to me. Redirect her. Maybe entice her with new shoes or get matching slippers with her. Also, if she is around kids with habits you REALLY disdain, she should be hanging around OTHER kids. It's the hard part I think for us as parents...but we really only have control over what WE expose them to.
    If she is not learning it from somewhere else, it may serve a function for her (she's thirsty or she doesn't like the taste in her mouth). Don't assume they are doing things to "get you" (not saying you are...but you know what I mean).
    I have learned that with children who have a higher energy impulse (hit more, are more physical in general) benefit greatly from physical WORK. Have her dump blocks and re stack them...or empty a book shelf and have her put them all back. Somewhere constructive to PUT that energy.
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 6:30 PM on Mar. 27, 2011