how can i get my 3mo old breastfed baby to take a bottle...we've tried everything...i think he has an aversion to it now.

Mommy2Keaton

Asked by Mommy2Keaton at 5:29 PM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Give Keaton the bottle and only the bottle.He'll get cranky and you'll get cranky but don't give up.Eventually Keaton will get so hungry that he won't care how his food is given to him.He'll notice the only time he is offered milk is when it's in a bottle so that's what he'll cry for.If you do give in to breast feeding, remove the nipple from his mouth before he is satisfied and put the bottle in his mouth.Keaton will eventually realize the only time his hungry tummy is being satisfied is when he is drinking from a bottle and he will start to prefer the bottle.Babies will not starve themselves unlesss they are really ill.
    callico

Answer by callico at 6:46 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I disagree with the above answer. You did wait a little too long to try bottle feeding...They say it is best to give them the bottle within the first 4 to 6 weeks so that they won't reject it. Are you trying to give him breastmilk or formula? He will be more likely to accept breast milk. Secondly, make sure you are using a bottle that provides a wide nipple..we use playtex ventiaire bottles...she had no problem taking them. Also, breastfed babies are more likely to take a bottle from someone that is NOT their mother. Good luck!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 8:24 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I wounder if it is really a way to do that my son wouldnt take a bottle for almost a year, even if he was starving he would wait until i got home from work to eat. I could here him screaming a blood curdling scream when i came through the door he was three months at the time too, he would not eat at all so i had to quit my job. Im pregnant now but im so scared to breastfeed cause i think the same thing will happen again pleas let me know if you find the answer so that i will know what to do too.
    scorpio85

Answer by scorpio85 at 11:22 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• i had the same problem kind of, ive got to go back to work so we stared feeding her once a day with the bottle to get her used to it. i had to put my nipple up to her and let her suck on it for a minute then do a switch(hurry and pull it out then put the bottle in her.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:28 AM on Jul. 11, 2008