Why won't my exhausted baby just GO TO SLEEP???

Okay, he's 9 and a half months old. He's clearly tired, rubbing his eyes, yawning, cranky. At the first tired signs I bring him upstairs to the quiet bedroom, put on the rain sounds, nurse him, carry him - and he still won't go to sleep. For ages. WHY??? And what can I do???

Tentaculata

Asked by Tentaculata at 9:52 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• jluvs...
    Just lay him in his bed when he is that sleepy... at that age, he needs to be learning to soothe himself to sleep. He might a cry a little bit, but he will most likely fall asleep within a few minutes, especially after a few nights of doing this. Good luck!
    jluvskija

Answer by jluvskija at 9:55 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• He's in protest mode. Pray.
    runawaybunny

Answer by runawaybunny at 9:56 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• just leave him in crib and turn on some soft music
    let him cry it out.
    baby always fight they sleep.

that what i do with my daughter she is 13 months. I just give her bottle of milk and i say good night and then leave her room after she finish. maybe if bedtime story and say good night
    she will cry for little then she fall asleep..
    it about the age they do not wanted to sleep they wanted to play or if pick up.
    mommytobe24

Answer by mommytobe24 at 10:13 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• yeah first thing pray second thing lay him in his crib and if he is not crying he will be okay thats what I do with my 8month old. Your baby just wants to play and be around you thats all. Thats what my baby does
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 10:55 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Try a warm lavendar scented bath for at least a half hour to relax him then do the regular routine.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:59 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Maybe move his bedtime up a half hour, he could be overly tired by the time you notice the signs. Also, make sure your bedtime routine is the same every night. My son has a snuggle blanket he always holds when hes in his crib. Maybe get your baby a special blanket or stuffed animal he can hold for comfort. As long as you're sure there is nothing else wrong, let him cry it out. Go in every ten minutes or so and check on him, but only stay a minute and don't take him out of the crib. This may go on for a while for the first few nights, but he'll soon realize that bedtime is bedtime and theres no use in fighting it. He's definitely old enough to realize that if he cries enough, mommy will come and get him. Don't play into it or it will only get worse.
    IsaiahsMommy515

Answer by IsaiahsMommy515 at 11:10 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Also, if you're dreading bedtime every night he can probably sense that. If you get tense around that time dreading whats to come, he'll pick up on it and dread bedtime too.
    IsaiahsMommy515

Answer by IsaiahsMommy515 at 11:11 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• does he take a nap if so try adjusting that if his nap is to early he might be getting over tired and it his nap is to late he is tired and over stimulated also a bath in lavender might help and quiet time just before they go to bed time to wind down.
    Theoneandonly

Answer by Theoneandonly at 4:02 AM on Nov. 27, 2008