Is it fair to say one childs needs are greater then another

Is it fair to say that children with asthma and allergies should suffer because of another student comes into a school and the parents clam ADA and say the child needs a dog.

Since when does one child needs and health out way another child

If your child was extremely allergic to animals and had asthma or was deathly afraid of dogs because of a pass attack by a dog.
How would you feel about service dogs coming to your public school for children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• This is tough. I understand the asthma allergy thing, but I also understand the need for service dogs. There are dogs that recognize when a seizure is coming, dogs that recognize when a person is ready to go into diabetic shock and dogs that help children with autism as well as those for blind people and otherwise disabled.

Neither child should be excluded from care. One has needs due to asthma/allergies. One has need of the dog. The school will need to figure it out. Possibly put the children in seperate classrooms.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:13 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I really think you are missing the point, mom. YOUR CHILDS ASTHMA IS UNCONTROLLED. THIS IS A PROBLEM. UNCONTROLLED ASTHMA IS BAD. PLEASE GET YOUR KID THE MEDICAL CARE HE NEEDS. Don't worry about the "splinter" of the service dog when you have your own personal "plank" in your childs uncontrolled asthma.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:36 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Then the child needs to see an allergy and athma specialist. Whats he going to do when he steps out side the bubble of the school and encounters allergens out there? If being around a dog set off his asthma that bad, then his asthma is not controled at all. Mom should be thankful she found out her son's med regimen is not effective.

My kids take zyrtec, pulmicort and singulair year round. Its important to let a child live in this world without the fear of asthma preventing them from experiences.

As for the dog fear, yes, kiddo needs to work thru it with therapy. Think of all the play dates and sleep overs with friends he is going to miss out on because his friends families have a dog. Life is too short to walk around with fear holding you back
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:20 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• That can be turned around too .. Why would a child with allergies and asthma come before another child? You're asking that one thing not be done because of their allergies, but you're saying that no child's "needs" should come before another. Aren't you kind of contradicting yourself there? I think service dogs are super important to have in schools, beause the children can learn greatly from that experience. However, I do understand that a child who is severly allergic may have some set backs with it being there. If there are methods that 'you' can take to avoid an attack (medications the surpress the allergy) that might be a good idea. As far as the child being afraid, well you have to encourage them to get over their fear. Allowing them to be terrified of an animal (even if the reasoning is lagit) isn't healthy, because there are way too many dogs in this world. They can't hide from them all.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:27 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• What make YOUR child's health more important then theirs?

And they are probably paying as well.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:31 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• It definitely sounds like the only answer you will be happy with is YOUR child's issues "winning". I don't think you would accept anything but someone saying "that child should not have a service animal". And I have rarely heard of anyone just "claiming ADA"...typically they *gasp* DO have a disability!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:34 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I would say the allergic child should take some Claritin and go to counseling for the dog attack. My children have both been bit by dogs bad enough to leave scars. They are not scared of them at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• We have a service dog in our school, and so far there has been no problems what-so-ever with having it there. If it were to be allergies, I imagine moving one of the children to a classroom where there are no allergies would be appropriate...although I am certain people would still bitch about any inconvenience they would have to make as opposed to being reasonable.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:18 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Oh I and I hit enter too soon. Also.. the kid with the service dog is being proactive about his disability/health issue and not letting it hold him back. Asthma kiddo/mom could learn a few things from this kid. Be proactive, control the asthma with proper meds, and overcome his fear of dogs.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:25 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I was thinking the same thing Mom-2-3-Girlz. It's not easy to get a service animal, it's not like just anyone can get one. And ADA status requires documentation.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:36 AM on Mar. 27, 2011