Selling kids clothes?

I just don't have time for a garage sale or a local consignment sale but I have enough outgrown cloths to seriously open my OWN used clothing store lol.

I don't need or want to take them to a kids consignment shop, most of them only give store credit, which I don't need, or are super picky and pay next to nothing.

Ok, so I think I'm left with ebay or craigslist. Has anyone ever sold "lots" of clothes on either? How do you price them? How do determine what goes in to a lot? How big should a lot be? I was thinking I would do a medium flat rate box full would make a good size. Auction, or Buy It Now on ebay?

Any other tips? Thanks for your help!

Xynyth

Asked by Xynyth at 10:08 AM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

• Yep. I sell clothes all the time on eBay. I'm going to list some tonight. I usually take the name-brand, excellent condition clothes and put them in a "lot" by size and season, meaning that I sell 15-20 items at a time. I've gotten anywhere from $11-$100 for the lot, plus shipping. I usually use the flat rate shipping boxes and put what I can into the box, then sell that much. I don't really care what they sell for, so I'm not losing anything if they don't go high. It's fun for me just to watch the bids go up, lol.

Oh, and a tip. If you decide to do this, in the description, describe each item, even if they are already shown in the pictures. I've found I get way higher bids if I do this. If you have any questions, feel free to message me! :)

If I had some listed right now, I'd send you the links to show you.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:51 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• eBay's brilliant, I make a large amount on our clothes on there. I find medium sized bundles are the ones that sell best especially with children's clothes, or you could do huge lots and put a buy it now price with best offer on it so you can control what it goes for. But you'd have to put up a fair few auctions to get interest on them I think.
    kayalouise

Answer by kayalouise at 10:18 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Selling lots of clothing on eBay is about the only way to sell them, but the cost of S & H is what kills ya. People usually only start the bidding very low, sometimes it goes high, but you have to start out that way to attract their attention... just remember to get accurate weight for your S & H. That always messes me up. Shoes are the worst. The cost is outrageous. Have you thought about asking someone you know who is having a garage sale to sell your stuff for you??
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:16 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• im not sure were you live but here in clearwater Fl, there is a place called once upon a cild that buys gently used baby stuff/clothes.. i would check and see if there was somthing like that in your area
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 10:13 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• The fees on ebay are getting steep for sellers, but if you are more interested in re-homing your stuff, and maybe making a few dollars in the process, it is probably your best bet. I would imagine you would make more in a garage sale if you could stick them in someone else's sale.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:15 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• depending on how large of a city you live in

i have sold a "lot" of clothes on craigslist - no shipping, but people do have to come to your home unless you meet at local public place
    i did around 30 items and sold for 15-20 bucks
    i listed as play clothes, some are play clothes, so,me were new with tags, but at less than a buck an item, not an issue

if your items are higher end and you want top dollar, then i say put the time and effort into rummage sale, but it is a lot of work, last thing you want to do is put a ton into a sale only to price too high and still have the stuff
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:20 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

•  There are some things to consider when selling your kids' clothes.  Before you sell them, think about the sentimental value.  Also, do you know another kid who could use the clothes?  If there is no sentimental value and you don't know of another kid who could use them, then you should sell them.  If the clothes are still in good condition, sell them just a little cheaper than they were when you bought them.  green ribbon

Aubreigh294

Answer by Aubreigh294 at 10:29 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Go to eHOW and you should have a million answers pop up.
    hotchocolatema1

Answer by hotchocolatema1 at 10:44 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Oh...and as for pricing, I always start the auctions at .99. I think it attracts more watchers and bidders. Then, when people start bidding, they get into a bidding war. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:53 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Ha, you're right near me! I live in St Pete lol. but they are SUPER picky and literally pay pennies. I did consider them though, so thanks :)
    Xynyth

Comment by Xynyth (original poster) at 10:17 AM on Mar. 27, 2011