A ? for african american women - or anyone would would know - NOT intended to be rude at all...

I was wondering why some african american women do not shave their legs. I work with a woman who is very "put together" - everyday she is dressed to the nines, hair done perfectly, make up on, etc..... since the weather is warmer she has begun wearing short skirts with hose... and she obviously doesnt shave her legs.... i just dont understand how you could invest that much time in your appearance and not shave your legs.... is there a cultural block against it - i guess i would not question her if she was a totally naturual girl. but she has straightened hair, dresses completely professional (no other sign of "hippy-ness") .... like i said in the title i do not mean to offend anyone with my ignorance. just trying to understand. help me out.

AmaliaD

Asked by AmaliaD at 10:35 AM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Her own personal prefrence keeps her from shaving. Im African American and idont have to shave because my hair doesnt grow in certain places. My mother on the other hand will not shave. Its not a cultural block. All races have bushwhackers and then they also have women who like to be as clean as bays bottom. I suggest you ask her.
    hotchocolatema1

Answer by hotchocolatema1 at 10:40 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I only shave mine once a year and that is during the summer time. It maybe a black thing I don't know but I remember when I was little my mom forbidded us from shaving our legs. She said we were not grown enough. I don't grow hair on my legs like that so once a year is all I do. My MIL on the other hand....wow her legs are worse than a man legs.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 10:42 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• all races have bushwackers? i guess there are some white women who are hippies who dont shave... but none of them come to school in 3 piece business suits... thanks for your input! that is kinda what i was thinking.
    AmaliaD

Comment by AmaliaD (original poster) at 10:42 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• It's usually due to their cultural beliefs, or it could be because of the difficulties some blacks have from shaving. I had one woman tell me that their skin can develop a bump like condition from shaving. I see many black women who dont shave their legs or their armpits, but are otherwise well dressed. Personally I find it hard to look at, but it's their personal choice & must be respected.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 10:43 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• i would love if my hair didnt grow like rag weed - in the summer - i seriously have to shave everyday or you could see the hair on my calfs.
    AmaliaD

Comment by AmaliaD (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I shave my legs during the summer if and only if I'm going to be wearing capri pants or skirts. Other than that, I almost never shave my legs. It's just a personal preference...I'm not sure about other black women.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:43 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I wanted to add: the hair on my legs is so fine that it's barely noticeable anyway.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:44 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• and she shaves her pits. i only know because she has talked to some of the AA female girls about shaving pits and the deodorants that are better for AA girls. (they were skinky after gym class like most teens are.)
    AmaliaD

Comment by AmaliaD (original poster) at 10:44 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I know that black MEN get bumps (ingrown hairs??) on their faces from shaving too much...I know it has nothing to do with your original question, but I thought I'd throw that out there...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Yes it is ingrown hairs anon. My husband stands in the mirror every night make sure he dosen't have any. He say they can be quite painful sometimes.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 10:51 AM on Mar. 27, 2011