Does a dog 'really' have to go to the vet to be a healthy dog? Im askin because I know ppl who never take their pets and they are happy and have lived a long time.

hotchocolatema1

Asked by hotchocolatema1 at 10:35 AM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Pets

• no you don't... about like our doctors.. they are needed for emergencies and things you can't take care of your self. we don't hardly ever take our animals to the vet. and have never had any problems with them. my mother in law takes all hers and everyone of them has some kind of problem. but you should also feel your animals the right foods for them. like with humans the right diet works a world of wonders.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 10:48 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Our dog is a collie-shepard and she is 10 years old. She's been to the vet twice in 7 years (this is how long we've had her-got her from the humane society). One vet visit was for a cut and infected toe (no idea how it happened, running outside is what we assumed) and once for a lump we found on her belly (turned out to just be a ft deposit). The second time was just earlier this year and the vet said she was in perfect health. I know people who spend hundreds every few months on vet visits, shots, etc. but I could never see doing any of that for no reason--only if it were necessary. Good luck!
    SPreece

Answer by SPreece at 10:49 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• i only take mine for rabies vaccines and if they're sick or injured
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:50 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I have two house cats that never go outside. I only take them in if there is something wrong. One is 11 and one is 5, and both are healthy, active, playful cats.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:01 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• No you dont. I rarely take mine to the vet and they are fine. I give them their shots and our vet said as long as I keep the receipt and date I gave them their shots it was fine in the event of an emergency. I have one dog whose 10 yrs old, the other is 6 yrs old, and the 10 yr old has been to the vet a handful of times, and the 6 yr old maybe twice. Both times were for minor things I was not sure about treating at home. My 10 yr old dog does go once a year now because just like us when they get older they can get diseases.

Answer by gemgem at 11:13 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Our dogs did go for shots so we could get them licensed. We did not take them for yearly checkups.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:11 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• my exbf never took his dog or cat to the vet and they both lived around 17 yrs and they never even had shots
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:19 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• only if you live out in the country away from the county court house! LOL.
    My dog gets rabies shots, heartworm pills and checkups from the Vet because they are NECESSARY. If you don't take your petsto the Vet it is irreponsible and really negligent and abusive.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:40 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• @ minnesotanice ... Not taking your dog to the vet is not negligent or abusive... I only take my dog to the vet for injuries and their rabies vac(every three years) the yearly vaccine injection can be purchased at a local farm store and are easy to give just under the skin....I  use a heartworm med that is from the farm store... a vet taught me how to dilute the med.. so, dont try it yourself unless you know... they are tested for heart worm every three years when they get their rabies. I know my dogs better than anyone else that spends a few mins to check them over... Plus, with todays economy many families are barely making it...They feel lucky they are able to feed their pet, let alone take them in for a yearly check up... 

TraceyLu

Answer by TraceyLu at 3:38 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I take mine for the rabies and to get the tags so I don't get a fine.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:39 PM on Mar. 27, 2011