Do you think that the importance of SAHM's is undervalued by society these days?

If so, how?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 10:47 AM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Yes I do. I think that women fought so hard to be equal and they want it all. I know my mom and her generation definitely did, and they dont understand maybe our generation doesnt. I chose to stay home because I knew what I missed with my mom working all the time. I didnt want that for my kids. I wanted a closer relationship with them, and I am much closer to my own kids then me and my mom ever were. I think it related directly to the way a child will turn out as well. To me if you want your kids to have your values, your beliefs and all of that then you have to spend time with them and not send them to daycare all day long with someone else.
    My mom never really got why I would choose to "waste" my life and "potential" to my kids, but thats her problem.

Answer by gemgem at 11:08 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I think we are sometimes. Look at the type of comments we receive:

"You stay home? Oh, that must be nice. Some of us have to *work*"
    "It must be nice not having to do anything all day except watch TV."
    "Don't you wish you could do something with your life?"
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 12:15 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Yes us sahm's are under valued and we are made to look as if we are just lazy living off some mans paycheck and we should really be out there being as "productive" as everyone else.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 10:51 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• No. I have been a SAHM for 14 years and I haven't experienced that at all. I only have noticed that some don't value SAHM's on here actually.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• yes i do!!! a lot of people think if a woman is now working outside the home she is not pulling her weight. which is not true at all. there is a lot of women that work from home or believe that the housework and caring for the family is above all else. i personally know i can't care for my family and keep them healthy working outside the home. we eat out a lot and have more prepackaged foods. my marriage was falling apart because of us trying to work different shifts because we couldn't afford daycare and had no one that could help watch our kids.

when we talked and agreed it would be better for me to stay home we both took a blow from people around us. from comments like "it must be nice to set on your butt all day" to "don't you want your own money".. it took my hubby a while explaining to people that i start working in the house either before or right after he walks out the door. and i've been telling it's our money!!!
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 10:55 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I have always felt it was the other way around. Not so much now that I have teens who can get around for themselves, but when the kids where very little I felt guilty everyday taking them to daycare. I felt like I wasnt a complete mother for it. I had to catch up on house work on my day off and it was this never ending battle of exhaustion, plus trying to spend as much valuable time as I could with my children b/ before I knew it, it was Monday morning again. I dont think society came into play as much as the pressure I put on myself. We all do the best we can with what we have to work with.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:10 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• "You stay home? Oh, that must be nice. Some of us have to *work*"

Working women hear equally rude remarks. Women are mean to each other. I say live your life and be happy with the choices you have made. There are always negative people out there who try to make others feel as crappy as they do. Don't give them power and make you feel less than you are. I never got my self worth from working or from being home. I loved working when I did and I love being an at home mom now. I ignored the insecure who make hateful remark about the choices others make. They are not worth my time.
    Anonymous

• Thank you! I just don't see why women have to bash each other on this issue. More support on both sides would be nice to see.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 1:04 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I feel like I am made fun of by my family. They feel what they do at work is so much more important and speak like it is. I hardly have anything to talk about other than my family and they act as if I am boring, and have told me so!
    But everyday my DD is asked how her day was in school and if she has any homework. I clean and make sure the house is clean.
    Only for my Mom to tell me that just because the house looks good doesn't mean the rest of everything else is.
    We are basically a couple that minds our own business, my DH and I. So what my Mom had said really hurt my feelings.
    But my Mom has some thing in her life where she can not stay still and gets very depressed so I have to take that into consideration.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 1:10 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I also have a degree I am not using. Alot of people have the misconception that SAHM's are not as well educated as their husbands, teachers that teach their kids or whatever. I have had teachers treat me like I am stupid and when I retort with something I know based on my educational skills they look somewhat shocked. One time I actually told a stupid teacher I was better educated then she was, and if I really wanted I could probably have her job or be her boss.

Answer by gemgem at 1:12 PM on Mar. 27, 2011