Do we make to many excuses for weight?

I'm watching the news and they are talking about overweight persons being changed more on Public buses because the extra weight adds to the extra wear and tear on the Bus. Now, I don't think we should be saying "you're fat - pay more" but they were interviewing someone who said "They shouldn't have to pay more just because they are fat. Fat people can't help being fat, it's just how they are, they don't get a choice."

Now, to me, it's this "you can't help it" attitude which has lead us as a nation down the path of obesity. It's an excuse. Of course not everyone can be a size 6, but there is no reason that obesity should be the issue it is. Don't get me wrong, I understand it can be hard to have a job, and home and a family and still have time for proper diet and exercise. I myself an overweight. BUT, because I'm overweight I better than anyone understand how that "it's not their fault" excuse, as well as others, make it so easy to end up this way and diminish the drive to get health once we are this way.

Should we, as a society, be making less collective excuses and instead start to celebrate the beauty of a healthy figure?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:54 AM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Health

• Of course we shouldn't be making excuses, I've never thought we should. However I think that people have the right to be any size they want to be. Give people the information on how to be healthy then leave them to do what they want to do, either act on it or don't. The only people who I wonder are about are people who literally cannot get out of bed, I don't see why people carry on bringing them food... But other than that why not just let people live their lives? This crap about public buses is ridiculous, how would you really judge people's weight, people have free rights. That's discrimination. I was overweight at one point in my life and have luckily got rid of all the weight but I still remember what it was like.
    kayalouise

Answer by kayalouise at 10:58 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• This nation is becoming obese everyone is making up an excuse for it 'cant help it' wellll you most certianly can stop going to mcds stop eating fast foods an all that junk.. granted yes there are some people out there that cant help it and yes its the way they are.. there is a fine line between the 2. i dont think people who are overweight should get handicap parking spot just because they are fat.. there are medical conditions ppl cant help.. i dont think they should get charged more because they are fat.. that is not right.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 11:02 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I am overweight and it is very hard to lose it, I have problems with my thyroid and have to take medication for it. Your thyroid is what controls your metabolism. I do somewhat agree with you, but I also believe some people can't help but being overweight or even obese. I do think that 90% of it is just people being lazy.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 11:05 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Some people don't care, some people like eating mcd's everyday and don't care if they are fat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Being overweight IS a choice and it is unhealthy.
    I see people excusing their obesity with cutesy phrases and "I am beautiful and fat" kind of response. BUT there IS no excuse
    I see so many people here telling us "It is a gland problem...it is not her fault"... Thyroid issues are not an excuse or an explanation either. I had a LOW thyroid reading--hypothyroidism---when I was younger and did I lose any weight? 5 pounds--- but it could have been all the walking I did getting to college classes on a huge Campus. And healthy eating.
    Please, don't be in denial about how unhealthy it is to be overweight. And please be considerate of your fellow passengers ....don't expect to sit THAT close to them on city transportation or an airliner because your body cannot fit into a standard size seat. And for goodness sake, do not encourage your kds to "clean their plates" and eat too much, the way you do.Be a healthy family,please!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:06 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• There are those few that truly can't help it, but about 90% of the overweight population can and should do something about it. If charging them extra for health insurance, bus fares or airplane tickets will get the point across then maybe that is what shoudl be done. I am currently overweight based on height vs weight but I am actually a normal size. The people in my family are very heavy on the scale but you look at us and we aren't overweight or obese.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:08 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• it's all what you put in your mouth and swallow , and that depends on what a persons frame of mind is at the time , some people dont have a issue with not being their ideal weight and some do have a issue with extra lbs.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 11:20 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I use to be 234. If yoiu dont wnt the wait you will lose it. I learned that by experience.
    hotchocolatema1

Answer by hotchocolatema1 at 11:24 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• We shouldn't be making excuses for overweight individuals. I say this because I am overweight because I like food but I recently began to diet and exercise because I refuse to bring another summer in as heavy as I am. I literally woke up one morning, took a look at myself and said that I am obese and disgusting and need to do something about it. Obese but beautiful and would be gorgeous if I was a decent size not 25 and a size 24. That's like 24 sizes for every year of my life! LOL! I love food and it's okay to love food, you just need to know when and how to eat it. Think of sugars and sweets as wasted calories that you have to work your ass off to burn. But people in America blame everyone but themselves. If we had more things like the bus tolls, people would be shamed into losing weight and I think that's what this country needs!
    cjordan86

Answer by cjordan86 at 11:40 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I don't need anyone to tell me I need to lose weight and shame me into losing it. It is a daily struggle, I am trying to work out and eat healthy, but old habits die hard. I am completely aware that I need to lose to be healthy but being made to feel bad about it only makes it worse. I am an emotional eater, so it is work not to drown my emotions in food. So shaming me, would only make my struggle worse than I am having now.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 11:52 AM on Mar. 27, 2011