Help weight gain and pregnancy.

I don't know why I am gaining so much because honestly I am eating a little more healthier than I did before pregnancy like I am actually eating fruits and vaggies for snacks. Before pregnancy I never really ate fruit. I am staying away from pop now and I am even eating salad for snacks and I am staying away from fast food. I was 138 before this pregnancy and I am at 173 already and that was at my appointment on Friday. Tuesday I will be 21 weeks. So I have already gained like 35 pounds. Is this normal? What can I do about this gaining so much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Everybody gains differently. I'm almost 26 weeks and I've gained 25 pounds.
    jessiskinner200

Answer by jessiskinner200 at 11:12 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• This happened to me during my first pregnancy. So, my doctor sent me to a nutritionist because he didn't believe that I was eating healthier. The nutritionist asked me a bunch of questions and then determined that I was malnourished prior to pregnancy and my body was holding on to all of the calories because it knew it had a baby to nourish. I ended up gaining 75lbs. I lost all but 20lbs before getting pregnant again. This time around I am 18 weeks and have only gained 7 lbs.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:12 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• To some maybe its not normal...Im in the same boat as you,except I was a runner and ate a very healthy diet(still eat healthy)but it seems just breakfast of cereal and juice can pack on the pounds lol.I started at 130 and am now at 160.My doc's are not concerned at this point but I am barely at 20 weeks and am carrying twins.Im also not allowed to workout either which sucks(high risk pregnancy)
    FitMom9603

Answer by FitMom9603 at 11:13 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Don't freak out too much! You'll be ok! I was 138 when I got pregnant, and delivered a beautiful 7.1 baby girl- I weighed 185. She is 16 months old, and I have been back to my 138 for 6 months now. I'm not saying go crazy and eat whatever you want, but a little extra snack it so once in a while, but sounds like you're doing awesome. I would just say, (for next time I am following my own advice) try not to compare yourself to other woman, or think you have to follow the book either. You know your body better than anyone, Good Luck and enjoy!
    Pamarita

Answer by Pamarita at 11:13 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Try to cut out anything with excessive sugar and saturated fat - snack cakes, cookies, fatty desserts, fruit juices, soda, potato chips, etc. You can still have yummy stuff - just watch the labels! They make a lot of low calorie, low sugar goodies these days, and there are a lot of recipes to make healthier desserts, snacks, and foods yourself! I don't know what your eating habits are like, but if you eat out a lot try to cut it down to once a week or less. If you buy a lot of frozen/pre-prepared foods, try to buy raw ingredients and cook your meals from scratch instead. It's healthier that way, and you know EXACTLY what is going into your meals.
    Make sure to walk 45mins-1hour every day. It's very moderate exercise, and it helps keep you healthy and prepares your body for labor at the same time.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 12:40 PM on Mar. 27, 2011