how to discipline a 3yr old from hitting/pushing a 1yr old brother

I have a 2 1/2 yr old who constantly hits, pushes, kicks, punches etc. his 1 yr old brother. I cannot gain any control as far as play, distraction,anything. discipline or ignoring does not help. I have battled time out and talking about the situation for months. I also change my reaction.I am at a point that I can't handle. I try to think on a two yr old level but I don't feelfor him anymore...I don't understand it b/c I am so angered that it never stops. It is 24 hours!!! Please help

courtney1977

Asked by courtney1977 at 10:05 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You can't ignore agressive behavior towards another child. You have to be absolutely 100% consistant in the punishment that you choose. Can you put him in his room (maybe w/ a baby gate blocking the door so you can still hear him) for his time outs. Don't hold him, play with him, or offer him alternatives (that will just reward his behavior). Start taking away priviledges (tv time, fav toys, outings, etc.). Reward any good behavior....make a chart and give him a sticker for every 15 min that he goes without hitting, kicking, pushing, etc. for every 8 stickers that he gets (2 hours) give him a small treat (hershey's kiss etc.) As he gets older, or starts to understand the concept you can increase the time increments from 15 min to 30 min and so on. GL and msg me if you want to talk.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 12:22 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• try something total off the wall have a punch pillow and everytime he punches take him to the punch pillow and punch it and have him punch it he will eventually figure it out that when he is angry to punch the pillow not his brother. Kids this age can't verbalize well and they get frustrated and lash out. it might help mom too.
    Theoneandonly

Answer by Theoneandonly at 3:32 AM on Nov. 27, 2008