Have any of you dealt with family members against adoption?

So, we adopted both our cute little ones from foster care. Right before our last adoption, my father-in-law came over to offer counsel... (UGH!) He told my husband and I that our marriage was crap, that we should have probably have never gotten married, and that we should give our girls back and make a clean break. I have come to the conclusion that my father-in-law is a retard... I was just wondering if I am the only one in this?!? What would you do or say to him??? This was way back in July, and I have been trying so hard to forgive him and let it go... and I just cant. Around any birthday or holiday I am wrapped around that as I watch him "play nice" with my girls that he didnt think we should have adopted...

adoptivemommy24

Asked by adoptivemommy24 at 10:11 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Adoption

• Live well, he'll see he's wrong. Don't put anymore energy into this, focus on all the good.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 10:17 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• i just leave it. It not him spending the money it you spending the money on adopt .

I am happy you adopt your baby.i wish i had money to adopt baby myself when i was kids i always feel bad about how some places is so poor and that some places has no money and need food for the kids i always wanted to adopt one myself. maybe in future..

I just talk to your father-in-law about it or it talk to your husband about it
    if you and your husband make the decision to adopt go head
    mommytobe24

Answer by mommytobe24 at 10:19 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Let him be the one with the bad mojo. I am adopted and I hear people make the dumbest remarks (I am 36) and fighting with them is wasting my energy.. enjoy your babies!!!
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 10:19 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• It sounds like he's more anti you, or your marriage, than anti adoption. If he's making the effort to make nice with your girls then that's a good thing. I don't blame you for being angry - what a terrible thing to say!
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 10:31 AM on Nov. 27, 2008