Gunpoint medicine

So there are plenty of people who become righteously indignant when people choose to skip medical treatment for religious reasons. And when it comes up, the point is always made that it's a slippery slope, and where does it end? How far should the government be allowed to force you to medicate your child? Should the be allowed to forcibly remove them from your home because you opt for a holistic treatment instead of a prescription that you feel is doing more harm than good with its side effects?

This ended up in an armed stand off when police showed up and tried to remove a teenager without a warrant, simply because the mother refused to force her to take the meds.

Obviously, she took it too far, but is this what people really have in mind when they insist that parents should always do what doctors tell them?  Drug your child or hand them over to the cops at your door?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:45 AM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Probably need more details here.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:54 AM on Mar. 27, 2011

• No, the government shouldn't be able to FORCE medical treatments on anyone.

Those who choose not to utilize medical treatments (for themselves and/or their children) choose to get sick and die.

Plain and simple.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:05 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• For adults, I think it should be up to the adult. However, when it comes to a child, if it's vital that they receive that medicine, I think it's neglect to not allow them to have it. The line has to be drawn somewhere, and forbidding your child to have a med that they truly need is where I'd draw it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:08 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• In other words, a child should not suffer because of their parents' beliefs.
    LovingSAHMommy

• That's scary. Anyone know what condition her daughter suffers from and what the meds were? The article didn't say. The medical profession is getting way out of hand and CPS has been out of hand for years. A lot of Dr.s do tend to take the stance that you should just do what they say, no questions asked. Me..well I ask questions, and trust me, I've had dr.s get very irate because I did. Even had one dr. years ago, tell me I shouldn't even have children as a result. Obviously I never saw him again. Yep, people get very upset when someone opts our of traditional medical treatment for whatever reason and it IS a slippery slope. If using CPS and police to try and force medical treatment becomes the norm, parents can just say goodbye to any right to make decisions regarding their children. As it is, a lot of hospitals have lawyers on staff so they can get a court order really fast to force treatment over parental objections.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 12:08 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

***

^^^ THIS!!!!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:09 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• forbidding your child to have a med that they truly need is where I'd draw it.

She wasn't refusing treatment for the child, she was using alternative treatment. There are plenty of doctors out there who will throw a full on tantrum if you dare to treat your child's ADD with diet instead of Adderall or Ritalin. Should they have the right to sic CPS on a parent?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 12:16 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• She wasn't refusing treatment for the child, she was using alternative treatment. There are plenty of doctors out there who will throw a full on tantrum if you dare to treat your child's ADD with diet instead of Adderall or Ritalin. Should they have the right to sic CPS on a parent? "

I wasn't referring to this specific case, I was speaking of in general. I think that a lot of kids are over-medicated. I meant that if a child needs the medicine to survive, function, or live without pain that the someone should make sure the child receives it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:21 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• And CPS is called in on other types of neglect or abuse, why not when someone is neglecting to give their child a medicine that is vital to their well-being? As much as I'm for personal freedoms, I'm even more for the well-being of children.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:22 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I always wonder where is there preacher in these stories they are never around when the family gets into trouble?

Where is the support of their church?

It is always sad to hear a child has die when they could of been safe.

I don't like the government in our personal lives.
    .

gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:26 PM on Mar. 27, 2011