How do I get my yorkie to stop going behind the couch and doing her thing

she poops and probably pees back there, she isn't using her puppy pads anymore and instead goes behind the couch. is there something I can spray on the carpet that will detour the behavior? she is 5 months old and has yet to go outside because of the cold so it has always been the pads until lately

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 12:13 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Pets

• You can block the couch entrances, but if she is not confined somewhere she will just find another place to sneak off to. I know people who have had to replace flooring under carpets, it can get that bad, so it needs to stop.

You really need to crate train or use some sort of confined space such as a laundry room at least. She has way too much freedom and is not being consistently trained to use her pads. You need to ignore the whining and she will adjust to the crate.

If she is 5 months and never been outside to pee, you are going to have difficulty. Or she is going to be a pee pad dog for life. You need to get a sweater on her and get her outside to potty so you can train her to do that, if that is where you eventually want her to go to the bathroom.

If you decide not to confine or crate train, then the very best you can do is get a leash around her and tie her to you so you can supervise her.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:26 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• TRY "Crate Training" It works ever time! Really!
    OR, blocjk the area behind your couch. But keep the puppy away from an area that becomes her place to potty.
    This is why Crate Training is so good---they won't pee or poop in ther "home", the Crate.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:20 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Block the area so she cannot get back there and start taking her outside.

Answer by gemgem at 12:47 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I would crate train her, always have her tethered to you so you know what she is doing all the time. When you feed or water her take her outside for her business and if she goes reward her. If she doesn't crate her and take he rout like 15 minutes latter if she goes reward her and let he rplay for a little bit and back to business1 :)
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 1:02 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I tried crate training and all she did was whine and my dh couldn't deal with it
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 12:49 PM on Mar. 27, 2011