How long should it take to get used to new glasses?

I have not had new glasses in 11 years. I finally had to get a pair because my old pair broke. I went to the eye doctor regularly, but as I typically wear contacts and my eyeglass prescription hadn't changed too much I didn't really need new glasses. I picked them up yesterday and it seems very strange. I feel like I am getting slightly motion sick with them and my eyes feel dry and itchy. When I take them off and put my contacts in for a bit, I feel better, so i don't think it is me getting sick. The frames are a lot smaller and I can see the outline of them where my older frames were larger.

How much time do it give it before I take these back and say they aren't working for me?

layh41407

Asked by layh41407 at 12:58 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Health

• Are they progressive bifocals---I had a pair for 3 years and eventually went back to lined ones---I can't wear progressive at all---but if they are regular, they might not be the right prescription---they do mess up at times---including the eye doctor.
    lecates

Answer by lecates at 1:02 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• No, they are regular eyeglasses.
    layh41407

Comment by layh41407 (original poster) at 1:02 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• My doctor always asked me to give it a week and I found that by 3-4 days I was fine. I like large lenses so I don't have the problem you mention of seeing the outline of the lenses/frame.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:03 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I can see clearly, I just feel weird. If that makes sense.
    layh41407

Comment by layh41407 (original poster) at 1:03 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Yes, makes perfect sense. There is usually an adjustment period. I always feel strange for a couple of days.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:06 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Thanks.
    layh41407

Comment by layh41407 (original poster) at 1:17 PM on Mar. 27, 2011