Can you tell me?

At the hospital when do you start to breast feed the baby? I dont want him to have formula at all! Will they help me on how to do it and everything?

brittany320

Asked by brittany320 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Yepp you'll do it right away actually.. within probably a half hour.... and they'll help you as much as they can and will ask you pretty much everytime they check on you how its going and if you need help! But its hard so be ready.. i personally couldn't do it.. it hurt SOOO bad. But good luck!! :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:44 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Ask your doctor how it usually goes at your hospital, and when you are admitted (and repeatedly throughout your stay) inform the nursing staff of your wishes. My midwife handed my son to me and spent a few minutes helping me get him to nurse for the first time as soon as the NICU team had him breathing okay, so tha twas maybe 15 or 20 minutes after birth. Once I was in my recovery room, I had my son room in with me so there would be no chance of a nurse accidentally forgetting and giving him formula.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 10:44 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• If your baby is completely healthy at birth and so are you (no high blood pressure, no complications, etc), you have the choice of trying to do it immediately. I learned the other day that my hospital will give you up to an hour of uninterrupted skin to skin time immediately after birth if you choose it, and you can try to breastfeed during that time. I'm really hoping both my daughter and I will be healthy when she's born so I can do that. There's lactation consultants that'll help you with every single question you ask, and they will absolutely not give your baby formula if you say you don't want them to =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:47 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• you can start right when they clean him up usually. if you dont want him to have formula let the nurses now right away!
    Anonymous

• i think you can right after you have them.i dont think that they will make your baby have any formula if you dont want them to.
    mckowntasha

Answer by mckowntasha at 12:09 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• but what do i know?im still pregnant and i dont have any other kids and i dont remember if they told us in the maternity classes or not and im bottle feeding.
    mckowntasha