Muslim or Islamic answer question

Sorry I have researched this but don’t understand. So someone who is Muslim is not Islamic or they are? Please explain the differences. Are they both religions? My husband and I have a friend who is Muslim but I don’t want to feel stupid and ask him which is which. We debate religion at times and we have so many similarities its crazy and I’m a Christian we believe almost everything the same but I guess he has three books that are different or something. It doesn’t matter but I just wanted to know exactly what religion he is so I can Google it. Are they or are they not the same? Sorry please don’t take offence to my stupidity. You won’t know unless you ask right.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• A Muslim is a person who practices Islam. Islam is the name of the religion, and Muslim is the name of the person who follows that religion. Does that makes sense?
    Anonymous

• I believe that muslim is a type of people, where Islam is the religion. I could be wrong tho.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:48 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Thank you so much!!!!! Because our friend has mentioned being Arabic, Islamic, and Muslim. We were just so confused. Thanks again.
    Anonymous

• The faith is called Islam. Someone practicing the faith is Muslim. Arabic denotes an ethnic origin from the Middle East. HTH!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:00 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Islam is the religion. Someone who believes in the religion of Islam is Muslim or Islamic. The same way that someone who believes in Christianity is a Christian or a Protestant or Catholic.
    IsaiahsMommy515

Answer by IsaiahsMommy515 at 11:02 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• A response to the Arabic/Muslim/Islam - it's the same as someone saying they are American / Christian / Methodist. it's all in the category. a person is born Arabic, but is Muslim because they practice Islam. Hope this helps!
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 8:40 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Islam is the religion.
    Islamic is the adjective describing things related to Islam. like Islamic behaviour, or Islamic art
    Muslim: it the one who embraces the faith. practices Islam.
    Arabic, is the adjective that describes things related to Arabs ( Arabs are the people, Arabic is the language) Not all countries in the middle east are Arab , some of the arab countries are Syria, Palestine, Jordan, Iraq Kwuait, Saudi, Yeman, Oman..etc. in Asia, and the northern part of Africa: Egypt, Tunisia, Algeria, Sudan, Libiya...etc. they all have different dialects but they are all Arab here is a link with the map:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_World

the reason there are many similarties , is that the rilegions come from the same God. our book is the Quran. yours is the Bible, and the Jews' is the Tora
    proud2bmom3

Answer by proud2bmom3 at 5:09 PM on Aug. 25, 2009