Any family members coming out of the closet?

My 25 yr old BIL just came out of the closet (officially anyway, we've all assumed for yrs). And I'm curious, those who have gay/lesbian family members, how did your relative share their news and how old were they?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Relationships

• my mom came out when i was 10. She was 33. She told me she hoped i didnt hate her and that she couldnt change it. I said it didnt matter, because she was still my mom.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 2:55 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• my brother was 45 when he asked what I thought of gays and told him I really don't care and really wished they didn't have to flaunt it I mean that in a way that it is your business just like straight people keep it to themselves because it is a personal decision on what your attracted to. so he told me he has always liked men over women and i told him that was fine and I didn't not have a grudge against him for it
    Anonymous

• Hubs has a gay cousin... he came out to me first and then my fil outted him thinking he was helpping. In the end it was good... but it was hard for a couple of years because his brother is a homophobic ass hole.

I have a gay cousin... she just told us she has a girl friend... no biggie

My sil's sis is gay... she just told everyone she met the love of her life, a woman.. not biggie

We are very open... my 16 yr old daughter has a GREAT gaydar and has many gay male friends.
    Anonymous

• I don't really know. Most of my family members who are gay are much older, and I have just always known they were gay, so it happened before I was born or when I was a young child.

One of my friends just had her teenage daughter come out...and she came right out and told it! LOL. My friend laughed at something some of the boys at her schools were doing, and joked never to date any of them, then the daughter replied "Mom, I'm queer...I am NEVER going to date those boys." Mom's response was priceless..."super...so no unplanned pregnancies" LOL
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 3:28 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• my husband's cousin's daughter announced on facebook of her engagement to her lover. She dropped all her family as fb friends for no reason. She is distant with all of us. Her lover dropped me as quickly as possible since I know her hs friend. I personally do not care but to each their own. SHe is being so snobby about it and so life goes on without her. I could care less and so can my husband.
    Anonymous

• I think my sister in law the mom n da aunt lol
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 5:41 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Our youngest son came out when he was 16 to us. We still have family on both side that do not know and I don't know if our son will ever feel comfortable or safe enough to tell them. I know not all Christians are so darn threatened when it comes to homosexuals but some of my family and my in laws are a piece of work. It is so bad I don't think we can ever visit them again because of their bigotry. It is sad.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:01 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• My cousin I think is gay but he is mormon so the poor boy will never come out. He will probably end up getting married to a woman and trying to suppress it his whole life. I would rather he came out and was happy but oh well. His life.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 11:33 PM on Mar. 28, 2011