Has anyone worked at Lowe's?

I just started there on Thursday - today's my first day off! I'm just a cashier, but so far it seems really intense. The hiring process was long and the training process has been just as...well, long.

So I'm just curious... since Lowe's is from the US and hasn't been here (western Canada) long... has anyone worked there in the past?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 3:01 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

• Well we have had the opposite experience of oldfashionSAHM.

My husband started there as a cashier and was promoted to head cashier within 2 weeks. He has remained steadfast and worked his way up. And is now an assistant manager. He started at $18,000 a year and is now making almost three times that. They seem to value hard work and are willing to promote employees based on that.
    Anonymous

• That is awful! But that was just that one store. The corporate police does not condone that kind of behavior in their managers. At my husband's store they are very conscientious of injuries on the job.

Sorry about your uncle.
    Anonymous

• my husband worked for them for 5 years. he was a zone manager and had a great record with them. then they let him go as well as half his crew. they decided that a department manager could do his job with a lot less pay.

we still know a few people that has tried to hang in there with them. and several more zone and department managers are looking at losing their jobs. not getting a chance to step down but actually losing the job. then they will fight when someone tries to get unemployment that they gave them a chance to step down when they never did.

Lowe's SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! and is a horrible company to work for. most of them will tell you straight out that once your hired on they are your family from there on out.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 3:08 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Lowe's killed my uncle...
    Like most people he was desperate for a job and keeping that job. He worked long hard hours and did anything and everything they asked of him. One day, a stack of heavy rolled carpet fell and landed on top of him. He laid there for 15 minutes and all fellow employees ignored him. A costumer FINALLY helped him out from under the carpet. He was injured pretty bad and his manager told him if he left he would be fired. So my uncle had to finish his shift in horrible pain before going to the hospital. I don't know exactly what was wrong but his leg was pretty badly hurt, they wouldn't accept his Dr's notes and told him if he couldn't preform his job for what they hired him for he would be fired. Two weeks later he passed away in his sleep, a blood clot had reached his heart. Dr suspects the clot came from his leg which was badly bruised/injured.
    Anonymous

• I believe that if he had the time off like his Dr note had said he needed, and had not been working over 40's hours in those weeks it would have been a different out come. Yes, he could have refused and just "quit" and "sued" but that wasn't my uncle he was a HARD WORKING MAN, who was desperate for a job.
    Anonymous

• I'm so sorry about your uncle, Anon. Lowe's now is VERY focussed on safety - seriously, half my 8 hour orientation was about safety, and over half of my two day computer training was about safety. It's their #1 priority now, and I know that it wasn't always like that - even the guys who work at my store who came up from the states said it wasn't always like that.
    Again.. I'm very sorry.
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 3:26 PM on Mar. 27, 2011