We want to adopt a child

My husband and I want to adopt. As we have looked into it a little bit. It could take up to 2 years is this true? We want a child under the age of three. Race of the child does not matter. I feel like there are so many children without a home for one reason or another why does it take so long. I understand the Financial, background, and home checks. But that does not take two years does it?

Nikkisabella

Asked by Nikkisabella at 11:09 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Adoption

• It takes more time the younger the child is. Also it depends where you are adopting from. Me and my husband was trying to adopt a baby and we waited almost two years then the damn agency went bankrupt on us.
    Anonymous

• I had a friend who tried and tried but there were so many ristrictions and so many qualifications that hardly were practical for them. they still arent able to so they did vitro fertilization. It worked. but I know they still would love to adopted children. It all depends though.
    Anonymous

• we 've adopted twice thru the county fost/adopt system and it didnt take long in either case.. less than a year for placement. and our son was 3 months old when placed and our daughter was 2 yrs when placed with us.
    lovinallofthem

Answer by lovinallofthem at 1:23 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Didn't take long with us...our first daughter came to us through my OB/GYN. She had a pregnant teen wanting to put her baby up for adoption. Our second daughter was from foster/adopt and we got her 5 months after our first daughter (both were days old when we got them). My dr. called us the day our homestudy was approved LOL! Our second daughter was placed with us 8 months after the homestudy was done.
    LizClara

Answer by LizClara at 4:09 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• It will depend on the process you go through...
    Foster-adopt is usually not a long wait as those are already waiting children.
    Domestic infant- you must wait to be picked by a first mom...this can take years.
    International- Yep... years. Your dossier must be completed, then you are matched, then you wait on approval of the country, some req. multiple trips, sometimes they close for restructuring during the process, then it happens! (we adopted from China and it took us 2+ years)
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:08 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I went through domestic adoption and it happened really quick. From start to finish it took us about 10 months only! This was with one failed adoption in between!!! The agency called us and said this BM picked us, that our baby was just born and our DD came home a couple weeks later. We were matched within 2 months each time. I think it depends on which agency you go with, our friends had used them and they were also matched really quick. I was looking into a different agency and they said up to 5 years with no gurantees we would have a baby!
    quintessence5

Answer by quintessence5 at 12:49 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• We started the process to do a fost/adopt last year. We took our classes last summer/fall (2007), we finally finished our homestudy and were licensed in Feb 2008. We are requesting 1-2 under the age of 3yrs. We have been "offered" everything form 4-5 yr old sisters, a 2 and 3 yr old brother and sister, a 2 month old girl and several more. We have said "yes, submit our homestudy" to all. Twice we were selected as the adoptive family, and twice it fell through before we met the child/children. So, we are still waiting.
    It just depends. The younger the age, the longer it usually takes. Sometimes there are lots of kids in your age group that need homes, and sometimes there are not. I would plan on it taking at least a year, and if it happens sooner, then great!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:20 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I KNOW OF SOMEONE WHO HAS PUT THERE BABY UP FOR ADOPTION, I AM SUPPOSED TO BRING THIS LITTLE GIRL HOME TO MY HOME BY CHRISTMAS BUT, I HAVE DECIDED TO WAIT AND LET HER SPEND CHRISTMAS WITH HER BIOLOGICAL FAMILY. NOW I KNOW THAT YOU ARE PROBABLY ASKING YOURSELF WHY WOULD I DO THAT? AM I NOT AFRAID THAT THE FAMILY MIGHT WANT TO KEEP HER WITH THEM? NO IM NOT WORRIED ABOUT THAT HAPPENING BECAUSE THEY WERE ALREADY TOLD THAT ON DECEMBER 26TH AT 3PM I WILL BE THERE TO GET THE BABY. SHE JUST TURNED 1 MONTH ON THE 28TH OF NOVEMBER. I REALLY HAVE BEEN THANKING HARD ABOUT THIS. I REALLY BEEN THINKING TWICE ABOUT THIS. ANY ADVICE?
    browneyes3840

Answer by browneyes3840 at 8:43 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• IT TOOK ME 6 MONTHS THE FIRST TIME.
    browneyes3840

Answer by browneyes3840 at 8:58 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• It could take you as little as 6 months to as long as 5+ years... all depending on what you are willing to accept...

I have friends that waited 4 years for an infant, under 2, then gave up and went with a 9 year old.
    Lil-Jo

Answer by Lil-Jo at 9:44 PM on Dec. 6, 2008