Is this an okay lie to tell?

My 1st prenatal appointment is next week and my husband wants to come too because I am going to a new doctor. We don't want to take the 2 small kids we already have so we will ask a good friend to babysit. We know she won't mind and will say yes because we exchange babysitting back and forth all the time. However, we don't want to tell her we are pregnant again and if we say we are going to the doctor, she will know what's up. I was thinking only my husband ask her and say he has a surprise romantic lunch set up for me. Then after the appointment we do a quick lunch just so it won't be a complete lie. Should we do that, or just tell the truth? I hardly lie and I hate to do it, but we really don't want anyone to know we are pregnant until we are ready to tell.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Relationships

• I don't think it's wrong, but I do think you might be overthinking it. I would just say that I have something I need to do and could she please watch my kids for me? Or tell her about a dr. appt but leave out the fact that your husband is going. Rather than come up with an elaborate lie, just leave off a little info that really isn't all that important.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:35 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• If I were your friend and you told me that, and then I found out later, I wouldn't be upset. I think you should not tell about your pregnancy until you are ready.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 3:11 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• The truth shall set you free, as the saying goes.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:15 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Can't you tell her you just need to visit the dr, for, ya know, a regular check up?
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 3:30 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• dont lie... just say can you please watch my kids I have a drs appointment. she doenst need to know your husband is going with you.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 3:40 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Or you could say your husband has a checkup that you want to be at. But your idea is not a bad one. Not a big deal really
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:28 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• i dont see aproblem with not telling her what u are really doing! congrats!
    mommie_of02

Answer by mommie_of02 at 8:23 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I think it's OK. I'm told that I'm honest up to a fault, and I'd do the same thing you are doing. Just tell her about the lunch, then leave it at that. But don't be surprised if she already knows or suspects you are pregnant. both times my SIL was pregnant people were already taking bets on the sex of the baby and when she would admit it. ;)

but it's up to you when you want to talk about it, just enjoy your lunch and good luck with the baby!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:39 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I don't think there is anything wrong with stretching the truth a little bit. :)
    bootsky

Answer by bootsky at 3:20 PM on Mar. 27, 2011