how can i deal with my daughter walking and not get so frustrated with her?

my daughter just started walking at 12 months and i am getting frustrated when she keeps going into places she is not supposed to and i don't want to be the kind of mom that gets mad at their kid for everything, so i just want to know if there is a way for me to keep my cool.

shandaluvsmoni

Asked by shandaluvsmoni at 11:14 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Baby proof. Put gates across doors of rooms you dont' want her to go in. Remove items you don't want to touch - place them on higher shelves or pack them away for the time being. Redirect her attention when she's heading to a spot you don't want her. When i have to do something novel like cook dinner or go to the bathroom (ha!) and can't watch my toddler like a hawk, I place them in a 'safe' baby proofed, gated room. They get to roam and i have some sense of security.
    Anonymous

• tell her no, take her away from it. if she does it again, say "mommy said no", then take her away again. if there is a third time, pop her on the butt. she'll learn. i started this early, before my son was walking...so he knew what was allowed and not allowed by the time he was walking.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:18 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• i also agree with the first poster. i also have my house...well...kinda...babyproofed. i have my kitchen closed off so he can't go in there, and he learned how to open doors, so i got those locks that go over the handles. i put them on the outside of all the doors, except for his door, so he can go inside his room, but i put one on the inside of his door so he can't get out at night. other than that, he's allowed everywhere, the dining room, living room, hallway, and his room, cuz he knows what he's allowed to get into and what not allowed. (like the computer is a NO..lol)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:24 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Baby proof! Your child is curious, you were too when you learned to walk. Personally I want my children to be safe and not ruin my stuff, so I baby proof and they learn what they can and cannot touch because of that. If your kid is pulling down books off a shelf, put them higher, getting in cabinets? buy locks. Its really easy to baby proof
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• gates, and move things
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:40 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I think its wonderful that you are asking for advice. I put up gates and locks on cabinets. Put medications in a locked cabinet. All breakables were on a sturdy shelf out of babies reach. When a child is that young all you can do is child proof and redirect them. And above all else enjoy this time b/c trust us older Moms they do grow up and they grow up fast. Day by day they learn something new. When they get into things they are curious and trying to learn, we keep them safe and teach them in a secure way. Have fun with your baby and take some time out for you too.. Hugs to you
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:20 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• turkeyYou seem like a wonderful Mommy. Everyone gets frustrated from time to time. Be good to yourself.  Have a Happy Thanksgiving

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:31 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• gates, cabinet locks, and telling no....it is so frustrating...but you'll get thru it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Nov. 28, 2008