I have a really good kid....

I must say, I feel like I have a really good child..I'm not trying to bash those posts that say my Kidd are driving me insane, bc believe me, I've been there..I think we hit the terrible two's and there's at the same time..I know we still have hurdles to jump with her..dd's turning 3 in June and for the most part the fits are done with, we've (pretty much) figured out how to handle her (it depends on the day lol), and she's gotten so much better at listening. I honestly think that she just had to grow out of that funk..no discipline worked for more than a week or two, and now I can just tell her that daddy will be upset when he comes home if your toys are not picked up and she gets them picked up. I know it's not the best choice but it works. She's a very bright little girl, knows her abc's, and many other songs (including bits of Taylor swift songs that she loves, and other kids songs like twinkle twinkle little star and s on). She can count to 30 with help starting at about 15-17, she knows her name and how old she is. She can tell stories from memory (we had a huge storm a fee months back that was a big impact on her, so that's mainly what she sticks to),..she loves to have her books read to her. She is all around a good kid..I do feel bad, however, she plays most of the day by herself, and even though I do play with her I feel like it's not enough. But, she's always played independently without me. I do (depending on dh's job in the coming weeks and where it stands) in the next 6 months or so get her in some sort of program or preschool type setting one or two days a week so she can get that social interaction and teaching/learning from someone else (I don't want it to be a complete shock when she hits kindergarten), am I wrong in wanting to do that? I see her around other kids at the park and she's very reserved, always waits her turn even though other kids are constantly cutting infront of her. She fits on better with the older kids who are not so wound up that they can't stand it (no offense, typical behavior of young kids, I know). I want her to learn that she doesn't need to rely on me for everything and that there are times I won't be aroun to help her up a slide or push her way in so she can have a turn. I realized it yesterday, when we were at mcdonalds, she didn't want to play bc there were a lot of kids running around..she wanted me to climb up in the stuff with her, and while at the park I don't mind playing and climbing with her, I'm 7 months pregnant with number two and not to mention the play stuff at mcd is meant for little kids only. Ok, I'm done bragging..any suggestions are appreciated with the question I have thrown in there ;).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think preschool would be a good start, they understand apprehension at her age and generally are pretty good with it, where in kindergarten it's much more organized and they usually have a little less time to "pamper" a sad child.. It may take her a few visits but she will learn to love it and have a lot of fun. It is also great prep for "real school". Good luck!
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 3:57 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I orginize play date all the time for my toddler. It is usally him and one other kid. Once one of the moms was babysitting for another parent so she brought two kids but even then my ds has so much fun sharing his toys, as well as most of his friends do too when he comes over to play. It teaches him to play nice with others as well as to share.when they are done playing and have to leave He sleeps real good.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 6:27 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I would definitely do that if I were you... My daughter sounds a lot like yours. She is very well behaved for her father and I. She has always been very willing to play independently and doesn't really get to play with others her age. She has been in daycare/preschool for several months now and still doesn't really interact or play a great deal with others. She waits her turn and plays with things independently. As soon and as often as you can have your little one play with others her age.
    karischub

Answer by karischub at 7:07 PM on Mar. 27, 2011