The children's "leash"

My son is 16 months and man have those terrible two's hit. Going to stores he fights if he has to get in a basket or stroller and if I let him down he runs off and refuses to hold my hand (he's 16 months old he's not really going to grasp that now anyways) So I am contemplating getting one of those cute little animal harnesses so he can walk but he doesn't run off, I am 8 months pregnant its hard for me to chase after him and the little booger is FAST.

I am getting a lot of mixed emotions over this, My DH and I love the idea of it while other people say it's mean. Do any of you mom's have the harness and if so do you like it or dislike and why?

Married2theBest

Asked by Married2theBest at 11:23 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my dh won't let me use them when he is around then i wouldn't have too! i have twins so its hard w.o them!!! when i go to the store they stay in the uggie other the that the mokeys go on.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 11:26 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• If I had one, I'd only use it in a very crowded public place such as Disney World or something. My kids were always like that (DD still is) at the grocery store (trying to run off), but I let them know their options. You walk with me or you sit in the cart. No exceptions. After a few tries of him escaping and having to see the alternative, he'll learn! Try giving him something fun to play with in the cart while you shop. I've gone through the baby department and picke dup some toy for my kids to play with and then put it back when we were done. It works!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:28 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I used it and loved it....although it can be a tangle mess and a worse shopping day. HAHA
    I usually try to do the babysitter, or shop when Dh is home.

Your choice. GOOD LUCK:) And they can still pull everything off the shelf with it. LOL
    Anonymous

• i use it. i love it. my son is about to be two so he's at the terrible twos at first he'd run off and play with everything, we tried telling him it wsnt ok.. but then i figured we'd try the harness and we did. and i love it. cant live without it either.
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 11:30 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I used a harness on all of my kids. My old boss gave me grief once with my firstborn. He said you are treating that child like a dog. I looked straight at him and said, "People put leashes on thier dogs because they love them are trying to protect them and others.I value my child much more than a dog, therefore he is wearing a harness and the dog is in the backyard." He never said anything else to me.
    Anonymous

• I never understood why people had such issues with these!? It is giving the child some freedom to move around while keeping him safe! Don't worry what others think! In today's world, you can't be too careful with your kids! If that's gonna give you some peace of mind, I say "LEASH that baby!"
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 11:36 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• When I was little, a baby "leash" was a wristband that wrapped around my wrist, a wristband that went around my mom's, and had an elastic rope in the middle. I remember LOVING that thing ... I felt like it was my first piece of jewelry. I didn't get rid of it for years ... I put two teddy bears together that way, lol! I think as long as your son has fun with it, he will enjoy it. If not, he'll have to learn how to not run off.
    KatieBatey

Answer by KatieBatey at 11:48 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I remember those wrist ones! I used to make my great grandma walk me around the house with it cause I thought it was fun. I believe it was a Sesame(sp?) Street one.
    I have no problem with people "leashing" their kids. I dont like people telling me how 2 raise my kids so I dont do it to others. What I dont like is that I have seen many parents misuse the leashes(ignoring the child because imo they think they dont have to keep an eye on the kid because he/she is restrained, yanking on the leash part, walking faster than the child can so the child is basically being dragged,ect)

If you want to use one on your son, you are free to do so. Please dont misuse it though.
    ICPclwnLOV

Answer by ICPclwnLOV at 1:21 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• The most important thing is keeping your child safe. If the leash is the best option for you right now, then use it. I do think it's important that you continue to try to teach your son to stay with you, hold your hand, etc. without the leash when you can so that he'll know how to stay safe if you're out without it.

ashuiren

Answer by ashuiren at 1:40 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I had a woman tell me i was cruel for having my son on one. while she scolded me her daughter slipped off and i helped her search. we found her 25 minutes later. not cruel if it protects your child
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:38 AM on Nov. 27, 2008