my 11 year old son is not doing his home work messing around in class and lying about having homework

we have taken several things away however he still plays sports do we take that also? my husband thinks that will make things worse. please help.

ahughes2772

Asked by ahughes2772 at 3:38 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Having him in sports is really good. You hubby is right. It could make things worse. My ds was doing the same thing so I told his teachers to write down his hw and then me and him would spend some time doing it togeather. As well as readind. My ds hates reading but has to every night so I just set aside some time for reading too. We read togeater he reads a page then I read a page, but I know he did it and didn't lie about hw or not reading.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 4:04 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I would not take him out of sports that is a good thing to have in. As far as somethng you can do is check his backpack/school bag to see if his work is really done. Most teachers are willing to work with the parents and write back and forth with a child's parent week to week. To make sure the work is being done. If you need to treat him like a baby until it is done then do it, check his bag, have teachers write out for you what he is suppose to do. Also making him sit down do his work right when he gets home could help. I wouldnt take sports away, right now, but tell him if grades start to fall, or if the work is not done, he dont go for that night.
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 4:10 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I had problems like this with our son. So his teachers and I worked together to help him. He had to write down the assignment and the date in his notebook OR the words "no homework". Then at the end of class he had the teacher sign the notebook. I could look at it each night and know what was assigned. And then I was nearby to help if needed. It solved the problem for us. He didn't like it at first but he got used to it and actually ended up loving one of the subjects as his favorite. I wouldn't take him out of sports but tell him he has to improve if he wants to stay in sports. But you have to be ready to take him out if things don't improve months from now. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:19 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I recently went through something similar with my 12 yr old. I initially thought it was learning disability and the fact that he had been taken out of his IEP. I finally sat down with and had a long talk, come to find out he just didn't feel like doing the work, he told me he was passing and didn't need to try harder because then he'd have more responsibility, he also said he friends got D's so who cares. So we talked more about the importance of good grades, and education in general. I also explained that as he moves up into HS, and his grades aren't better he doesn't get to play sports...My son is very atheletic and loves sports too and I'd hate to take them away, but this is truly what got his attention, that and the fact I expressed that he won't be able to get into a college of his choice if he doesn't start making some efforts. Now he brings his work home every night and we've seen a lot of improvement. GL
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:37 PM on Mar. 28, 2011