For any Pagan Witch Mommies out there...

How do you explain religion/beliefs to a young child?
My now 6 yr old is being asked to go to church by friends who are christian.
I don't have any problem with my children exploring any and all religions they want as they get older but I would like them to have a better understanding of what religion is etc before hand.
How would you start introducing religion and beliefs to a 6 yr old?

My_3_Babies

Asked by My_3_Babies at 4:29 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• That is such a hard age to explain and they are so impressionable. Even my daughter who is almost 13 is hard to explain things to. Just teach them to be open and make sure you stay open as well. That is the only thing I can suggest
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 11:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• If a question is asked he is given an answer from all points of views (that I can answer)... We do not teach
    any one type of religion in this house, I am Wiccan and Dh is Christian, so I try to balance things out...
    But I have no fears of him wanting to attend or most likely ever practice Christianity bc of how some
    of his classmates treated him and others who don't openly scream for Jesus... Let's just say that the
    scare tacit worked so well on my now 10 yr old that he was having night-terrors over the things that were
    said to him and my Dh being Christian himself was going to go postal at the school where this all happened
    at...
    I realize and I have reiterated with him that NOT all Christians treat ppl like this or say things like this and pointed
    out to him my MIL & SIL who both are devote Catholics, but the damage has been done... but we still instill to him
    to respect others beliefs ...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 5:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• We are not a religious family, but my mother-in-law will take our girls to church occasionally. I don't think too much about it, because they like the music, spend most of their time in the nursery school, and then "get donuts". When my oldest started talking about god and church, we just said that many people believe in a higher power, but mommy and daddy think that they are just stories to remind us that we need to behave well and treat everyone with respect. We try to be careful so she doesn't go to church and blurt out "god is bologna" and cause the elders to have heart attacks, but we do share our beliefs too.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:54 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• We talk about the Divine and we talk about the beauty of things around us. We dont get too specific unless they ask(my oldest is nearly 7). If their friend invited them Id just have them say not til Im older.

I honestly wouldnt sit and discuss religious things with my kids unless they asked then I would say what we believe and what others believe. Then Id let them know that as they get older and learn more they will have their own ideas and thats ok. The key part is to believe in themselves, respect everything/one(even if they dont like it), to see the beauty that is out there amongst the muck, and to be grateful.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:27 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I've started with both of my children by showing/teaching/telling them about how all life is precious. The biggest one I've had to overcome is just mindlessly ripping out handfuls of grass just because. My husband is Mormon and he takes them to church every Sunday. Sometimes I wonder if I should mind more than I do, but this is about the only time all week I don't have kids in my hair. Three hours out of 168 in the week I'm kid free.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:56 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Haven't had to yet...my girl's only 3.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:57 PM on Mar. 28, 2011