How can I get my 16 month old to sleep in her own bed?

I have a 16 month old daughter and she sleeps with my husband and I. He's the one that doesn't want her in her own room, but I'm just waiting to be able to have our bed to ourselves again. We are planning on getting pregnant again and having another baby, and I would like her to be sleeping in her own room by time that happens. Every time I put her in her room she cries and screams bloody murder... until daddy goes in and gets her! I know it's partly my fault for not putting my foot down, but I'm ready to do so! Please help!

tbrosnan

Asked by tbrosnan at 4:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• well, it sounds like you know what you gotta do. GL! Maybe dad would feel better if she had a teddy bear with one of his shirts on-that might help comfort her and he could feel like he's keeping her safe.
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 4:36 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• We had that problem with our daughter too. She was about 20 months when she got her own bed.
    What I had to do, was develop a routine. We had also just got her a dog, so our bedtime routine became: 1.) Take out the dog. 2.) Give the dog food& water in her crate and put her to bed. 3.) Go upstairs, brush teeth. 4.) put on pajamas. 5.) Give Daddy night-night love. Daddy also has to hug and kiss the teddybear. 6.) Give Mommy night-night love. Likewise with the teddybear.
    For a long time, I then had to sit on the floor beside her bed where she could see me, until she fell asleep. I don't sing - she tells me to stop. I don't read to her at bedtime - it just makes her want to talk and read, too. All I did was sit there and read, silently, my own book until she fell asleep. That worked for us.
    After a while, we did the routine without me sitting there. Finally got her to realize we were just down the hall.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 4:40 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• No reason for her to be afraid once she figured out all she had to do was cry and we'd be there. So now, we do the take the dog out, put her to bed, brush teeth, get pajamas, get hugs and kisses all around, and have a back and forth litany of "good night!" "Love you!" "Sleep good!" "Sweet dreams!" "See ya later!" which for some reason seems to reassure her.

Naturally every child is different, but maybe that will help you out a little bit. Good luck with it. :)
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 4:42 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• id let my son fall asleep next to me then move him to his bed eventually he decided he wanted to sleep in his bed all night
    LindasueDa

Answer by LindasueDa at 4:43 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• There's not but one way to do it, and that is to put her in her own bed and leave her there. She will cry, and you must listen to it. You go to her door and let her know that you are there, but that she has to stay in her own bed. The first time you go in and pick her up, you have set back the accomplishment of this thing, and she will cry longer and harder the next time. This is about her having her way vs. your having yours. Whoever gives in first loses, and that should not be you.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:52 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I know parents who had set a bed next to their own bed to get the child used to that. Then they move the bed to the other room after a few weeks. Just one idea.......
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:52 PM on Mar. 27, 2011