If a friends kid breaks one of your kids toys do you ask them to replace it?

I babysat a 3 yr old for a friend and he broke 2 Nerf toys and a $20 Evidence kit toy that belonged to my 9 yr old.
I don't want to alienate the woman or be rude but my husband refuses to let the kid come over anymore since he's costing us money.

What would you do in this situation if you want to remain friends with the woman?

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 4:59 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• If it was an accident no.

If it was on purpose at THEIR home yes.

If it was on purpose at YOUR home no... because you should have been watching the 3 yr old.

Anonymous

• When I buy a toy, I always have a small expectation that some kid, even my own, will eventually break it. I don't think I'd ask a parent to replace a toy that was broken by a young child. Now if it was like a 12 year old that broke an iPod or something of value and they are at an age where they know better, yeah, I would say something.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 5:10 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• if he goes over again why not tell the mother of the child to bring age appropriate toys for him to play with
    Gen

Answer by Gen at 5:12 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• I would want the toy replaced if someone else's kid broke it.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:00 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• depends what it was and how much it cost
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 5:00 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• its jus a toy tho.. kids break stuff especially young ones. its nothin my sons toys get broke and he breaks toys its nothin to stress over
    LindasueDa

Answer by LindasueDa at 5:01 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Yes,they should pay u for it.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:01 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• What was the 3 year old doing with the evidence kit? I say put up any toys that are not appropriate for a 3 year old before the come over. And no, I would not require or ask the parent to replace it.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:02 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• No, I would not ask them to replace it. I would think you should keep anything that can be broken out of the hands of this 3 year old.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:04 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• The evidence kit was being played with at the time by the 3 yr olds 9 yr old sister.
    The Nerf items were seemingly safe for him to play with but he managed to snap the shotgun trigger thing off and rip the nose off of the cross bow.
    Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 5:05 PM on Mar. 27, 2011